Need Help With A Starbucks Cake

Decorating By AlanaBethB Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 3:42pm by lorrieg

AlanaBethB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanaBethB Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:12am
post #1 of 11

My husband is turning 39 soon and is an absolute Starbucks addict. I'm throwing a surprise Starbucks themed party for him. I want to do a Starbucks cake with a coffee flavored filling and buttercream icing. I'm not sure what to do for the cake flavor or even the look of the cake. I'm thinking a Starbucks cup. Please give me ideas. Thanks so much.

10 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:26am
post #2 of 11

I'm doing one of these next week. i'm going to sculpt a cup and wrap it in fondant and put a run sugar logo on it. I'm also going to make a barista standing against it.

I'm going to do chocolate cake with mocha icing. icon_smile.gif

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 11

I made a buttercream once and used Starbucks espresso for the liquid. It was super yummy! Anytime I've used espresso in the cake for the liquid it turns out really dense and tastes more like carmel, almost burnt. I wonder if it's because the espresso is actually being cooked twice?

lorrieg Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 11

I use the instant espresso in my cakes and my icings. I haven't had a problem so far with a burnt taste. Do you drink the espresso yourself? or is that the way that brand tastes? (not a straight espresso drinker here icon_wink.gif )

sarahpierce Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 11

Starbucks coffee and espresso has a very good taste. It is a very unique taste. My DH and myself used to have quite the addiction ourselves icon_redface.gif . If you do use a coffee flavor in the Starbucks cake make sure it is the brand name. No other brand compares, and he would be able to tell.

lorrieg Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 11

how would I make it if I don't have an espresso maker? Can it be brewed like regular coffee? Don't laugh! I really don't know. icon_redface.gif

I guess I could get my son to make me some and I could take it home and use it. What do I do- sashay up to the bar and order 10 shots? icon_lol.gif

For my starbucks cake I will use real starbucks. Somehow! icon_twisted.gif

sarahpierce Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 11

I bought my espresso maker at Target for $30. But, you could just go to Starbucks and order your shots.
Don't laugh about the 10 shot thing either. Me and my DH were drinking about 16-20 shots each a day. I told you we had a problem icon_redface.gif . Of course the main problem was a migraine if we didn't have our "fix" by 8 a.m. Hense, me buying the espresso maker. But we're better now icon_smile.gif . But, no matter how you do it just make sure it is Starbucks. He'll appreciate the attention to detail. They also sell Starbucks liquor. I have never tried it, but maybe you could use that in your cake. It would at least be fun as a drink for your party.

lorrieg Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 11

I'm a tea-a-holic but I've been know to have cafe au laits once in a while. Or the one with espresso shots. icon_smile.gif I understand the headache thing.

I will buy some shots, I'll go out and get them because he's getting there on his bike and I'm sure he wouldn't be happy bringing home a cup of liquid for me. Of course I could play the "I gave birth to you" trip but I try to save that for really important things. icon_twisted.gif

I've seen the liqueur. I've got some Godiva for my chocolate stuff but I hadn't thought of the Starbucks stuff. This cake will have to be espresso only- there will be a newly graduated ( thumbs_up.gif for them!) AA member having some!

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try them all.

lorrieg Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:33am
post #9 of 11

alanabethb, have you seen this cake yet?
http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1261415.html

AlanaBethB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanaBethB Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 1:02pm
post #10 of 11

I hadn't seen that one. Here's my concern. I am not an old pro at this. I took a cake decorating class two years ago and in that time have made a handful of cakes for my daughter's birthday, Christmas, Easter, that type of thing. In my class we did not learn how to do fondant and the idea of attempting it for this scares me a little. It's going to be a largish party so I was going to do several layers of cake, and my husband does not like chocolate so all the layers could not be mocha. That's why I was thinking a coffee filling.

lorrieg Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:42pm
post #11 of 11

Why don't you email me and I'll try to step you through it? I'm not a pro but I have been covering cakes for a long time with fondant.

I'm sure we can get you making something that will knock everyone's socks off! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%