What Can Help This Cake?!! Urgent!

Decorating By Melan Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 10:05pm by Melan

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 16

I am SOOO not feeling this cake! What can I do to help it out? It's for a family friend -so perfection isn't going to prevent me from making $$ on it, but I am not happy with it at all!!! It's supposed to be for a housewarming party -stick figures, the family likes black/white and the mom likes pink... So I wanted to do black/white/ with a hint of pink. I am just not digging it.... what else can I do?

Not sure if pic will post in this message, but if not, it should be available in my photos (White Sheet cake, stick figure house and people)

Thanks! I have about an hour to fix it -or add to it...
LL

15 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 16

Well been much bigger, b ideally the transfers should b oh well lol.

You could try doing a "doodle" border around the empty space in black... like curlicues, as if someone had doodles around the edge of the "paper" and maybe put pink dots in the center of each loop for accent?

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 16

It's a little too blank......I agree to put some "doodles" would help. Next time make the picture just a tad bigger. icon_smile.gif
If you don't feel like doodling, how about sprinkles of some sort?

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 16

I agree, I would add to the border so it takes up some of the white space on the cake. In black with pink accents like already suggested. But if you don't have time, don't stress. It's still really cute icon_smile.gif

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 16

I agree- jazzing up the borders would help the cake look a little less...is lonely the word?.....Putting pink and black curlicues would make it look more joyful. There are some threads on here about people's favorite borders and they have pictures- good stuff!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 16

I would recommend doing a spray sky, covering some areas for clouds (use Wilton spray if you don't have an airbrush) and grass. Since it has stick figures, I would try to incorporate a child's perspective--nothing perfect just art--like refrigerator art.

Melan Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 16

I'm not sure I get the whole doodle thing... I agree about the size -way to small in my opinion - There has to be something I can do. I have tons of little pink drop flowers -and I made some larger ones -may not dry in time though. I like the idea of the doodle thing -but I am not sure if I am on the same page with that idea...

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:59pm
post #8 of 16

Check out Cakery's pics.........I think this is what we're all talking about. Something to take up the extra space.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-Cakery.html

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 16

pipe, candy clay, etc. some bigger flowers, leaves. Add a sky....clouds., etc. . A double border.... It's just too empty and plain.... It's a beautiful canvas for some other things. Nice icing and cute figures...

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 16

I LOVE the simplicity. and I LOVE the black and white. What about adding clouds (poofy white) and a tree all in white??? So that there is texture, but all in white? Perhaps with black outlining??? Kind of like a kid drew the picture with a pencil on a blank paper, and then the shapes grew out of it???

Melan Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm
post #11 of 16

What if I create a box with the pictures and words in it, and outline that with pink or black to seperate it from the outside of the cake -like Cakery does on many of her cakes. Then on that ouside part do stripes or maybe even use these drop flowers...

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:40pm
post #12 of 16

If you are delivering could you stop and get some daisies at the grocery store and just put them in the corners?

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:57pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan

What if I create a box with the pictures and words in it, and outline that with pink or black to seperate it from the outside of the cake -like Cakery does on many of her cakes. Then on that ouside part do stripes or maybe even use these drop flowers...

I think that sounds like a good idea. Post an updated pic if you can once you finish.

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 16

I like the simplicity, it has a 'comic strip' quality to it. But I agree the corners need something to complete the composition. How about sprinking a handful of Good & Plenty's in each corner, because they are black white and pink

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 6:10pm
post #15 of 16

Maybe some confetti or sprinkles around the edge?

Melan Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 10:05pm
post #16 of 16

Ok, so I added more to the borders and that helped a little... They loved it -I still think it's missing stuff but they loved it and I ran out of time... Soooo, all is well. Next time I will do the FBCT bigger and plan a little better -lesson learned! Thanks so much for all the help! I really appreciate how quick all of you are!!!

Here it is...
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%