Cake Boards

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 1 Sep 2008 , 4:11pm by pottedmeatchunks

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 11

I see so many beautiful cake boards on here. I have a few questions. 1) Where do you buy the thick cake boards that you can decorate with ribbons and such. The places I go only have the cardboard thin ones. 2) When you bring the decorated cake to your client on your decorated board do you ask for the board back, or is that figured into the total cake?

Thanks!!

10 replies
rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 11

I use foam board, wrapped in batting and fabric most of the time. I usually use 2-1/2 inch thick boards, cut to size and glue them together. They hold up great. Use can just figure the price into the total, because you probably wont want them back after they are done with it. I don't charge for them just because the cake has to have a board to sit on, and you dont want a beautiful cake sitting on and ugly plain cake board, it always looks awful. It is just a given for me. A nice cake board just adds that little touch to your cake to finish it off. I hope I have helped you. You can get the foam board at Micheals, or any arts and crafts store.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 11

You can also buy "cake drums" & use those too. They usually come in silver or white but you can decorate them however you want. I like them because they are very thick & sturdy. I also use the foamcore when I need it, but I prefer to use the drums because I don't have to cut or shape them.

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 11

I get my husband to cut my boards. He uses 3/4" plywood and I use an adhesive spray to attach fabric. The boards are always returned to me and I just peel the fabric off so I can use the board again. Using such a thick board allows for a larger ribbon on the edge and a better presentation.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 11

If you cover the board with fabric, what do you put in between the fabric & the cake?

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 11

I put my cakes on cardboard cake rounds the same size as the cakes, and then glue the bottom of the cardboard to the fabric covered board.

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:34am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvercher23

I use foam board, wrapped in batting and fabric most of the time.

Could you explain how you do this? It sounds really pretty, I just can't wrap my mind around the batting part. icon_biggrin.gif

Beverly

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 11

I cut my own boards from 1/2 inch MDF (really cheap wood), and then 5/8 inch ribbon fits perfectly around the edge. I do not ask for boards back...mdf is so cheap anyway. I can cut 2 huge boards for wedding cakes from 1 <$5 piece of wood and have leftover.

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 11

What is MDF? And where do you get it, from a Home Depot, or a lowes? and how do you get it cut to the sizes you want?

I went to home depot, found the cheapest wood I could find, but when I asked them to cut it for me, they can't. They can't cut wood unless it's a certain size....larger than what I would need for cakes. ( he said liability issues).

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 2:09pm
post #10 of 11

google "masonite cake boards" They come pre-cut in just about every size you would need and are very sturdy. Sure you could cut your own out of MDF purchased at home depot or something, but for me the convenience is worth the price and there's no waste with scraps of leftover MDF. Also, if you do a high volume, it's a time-saver, as well. And as anyone in business will tell you, time is money!

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganlynn

What is MDF? And where do you get it, from a Home Depot, or a lowes? and how do you get it cut to the sizes you want?

I went to home depot, found the cheapest wood I could find, but when I asked them to cut it for me, they can't. They can't cut wood unless it's a certain size....larger than what I would need for cakes. ( he said liability issues).

Both home depot and lowes will carry mdf but home depot is better about carrying it in small pre-cut pieces you can carry out of the store and fit in your car. I cut mine with a jigsaw, they are SUPER easy to use (the only power tool I'll use by myself) and only about $20 if you dont already own one. You can do round boards or any shape you want with it. You might want to invest in a sawhorse too but if not I just put my wood across 2 lawn chairs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%