Help With Cake Topper Without Prongs

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 4:26am by sweetcakes

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 6

So the bride dropped off her topper & noticed her topper did not have prong or support to hold it. I have attached a picture I found online & that's pretty much it. I was thinking it might sink into the cake or tip over. I'm stacking the cake on location. I was thinking of attaching some straws to the bottom with royal icing and letting it dry so then I can use that for support. Do you all think this will work or do you think this topper will be fine without it. If you have used this kind topper before.

Thanks
LL

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 6

I've worked with these type of toppers before. They wont' sink into the cake. The primary problem is that most are top heavy and don't stand very well. If you can place some sturdy florals behind and in front of the base of the topper, it will help. Or create a cushion of icing for it to sit in, like a pile of glue.

It's a good example of what I tell brides: Just because it's made to go on a cake, doesn't mean it's MADE .... to go on a CAKE....!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:16am
post #3 of 6

I did one of these last year without any problems. It didn't sink and the one I had didn't tip over either. The dot of bc to glue it in place is a good idea though.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:33am
post #4 of 6

thanks for the replies Thank you

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 3:05am
post #5 of 6

I've had those too. blargh. I make a "hair pin" out of wire and use that to secure the thing to the cake. I did have one bang it's way down the side of the cake when the table got bumped.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 4:26am
post #6 of 6

i had a cake using the E in this style and it wouldn't stay up. if i had knowniwould have made a gumpaste plaque and attached it to that. there is no weight inthem so i wasn;t concerned with it sinking. on the day, i had to put a piece of cake board under it so it had something solid to sit on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%