Fondant & Gum Paste

Decorating By MissJackson3563 Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm by Daisys_Cakes

MissJackson3563 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJackson3563 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 5

Ok so I am totally new to the cake scene and I had never even seen a cake with fondant until I happened on this website. I have two questions. I decided to try my hand at making and decorating a cake last week. It turned out a lot better than expected but when we went to eat it the fondant was very chewey and kind of rubbery. Is this normal?

And my second question for you guys is, can I freeze gum paste or sugar paste flowers for future use and if so how long are they good for?

Thanks so much for reading this. icon_redface.gif

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 5

Fondant is kind of chewy and rubbery. You can try rolling it a bit thinner next time and see if that helps.

You can freeze fondant flowers once they're dry. I've frozen them and kept them for months that way. You can also keep gum paste flowers in an airtight container and you don't have to freeze them...since you're not going to be eating the gumpaste, all you have to worry about is keeping it away from high humidity, dust and bright light (because it could fade).

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 5

What recipe did you use for your fondant? I use Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe and do not find it all rubbery.

MissJackson3563 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJackson3563 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both for your help. I used Wiltons Rolled Fondant. I will have to try and make my own next time. I am so glad I can store the gum paste and sugar paste, that will really save time.

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 5

You used Wilton's! Oh my goodness, no wonder you thought it was bad! You should definitely make your own next time, I would highly recommend Michele Foster's it's in the CC recipe area.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%