Carmel Frosting

Decorating By Spice Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm by Spice

Spice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spice Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 9

Please Help!
Last evening I made the old fashion carmel frosting but before I could spread on entire cake it was turning hard as a brick. I need to know what will make it more creamy and pliable. Here's the recipe I used 1 c. brown sugar, 2.5 tsp. butter, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tspn. corn syrup and 1tspn. vanilla.

Thanks

8 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 9

I'm going to need more details than that. Is this a cooked frosting? If so, did you stir during the cooking? Are you sure your thermometer is working right?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 9

The recipe I use if different, but I just add a little evaporated milk to soften it.

Spice Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

I'm going to need more details than that. Is this a cooked frosting? If so, did you stir during the cooking? Are you sure your thermometer is working right?

Yes it was a cook recipe, I did stir but not constantly, allowed to boil like recipe stated. Then I put some in microwave to melt with can cream and still once cooled turn hard.

Thanks

tyty Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 9

Are you talking about re-heated left over caramel? I just take mine from the fridge, let it come to room temp and spread. I've never placed it in the microwave before.

Or did you mean it was fresh made, got hard then you put it in the microwave with cream to soften?

Spice Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

Are you talking about re-heated left over caramel? I just take mine from the fridge, let it come to room temp and spread. I've never placed it in the microwave before.

Or did you mean it was fresh made, got hard then you put it in the microwave with cream to soften?

Yes left over in microwave. The room temp will not help this, maybe I over cooked?

Thanks

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 9

You probably cooked it too long. The recipe I use is different, but it is pretty close. I cook for about 3 minutes--or until the frosting covers the spoon. Everytime I have had this problem it was because I cooked it too long. Sometimes, adding evap milk will soften it, though.

tyty Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 9

Maybe try gently heating it without the cream, then add the cream once it's warm. You don't want it to get too hot, that would be cooking it.

Spice Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 9

Yes I think I overcooked and or used to much Powder Sugar which I forgot to list in the recipe ingredients in earlier post.

"If at first you don't succeed try agian"

Thanks again
Spice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%