Flavorings For White Wasc Other Than Almond??

Decorating By vagostino Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 2:03pm by JodieF

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 21

Hi! I need to make a white cake but they don't want almond flavor in it. I tried to make the WASC with all Vanilla ( I use nielsen massey madagascar vanilla), but the cake had a weird chemical aftertaste. What can i use instead? I've heard of princess emulsion, creme bouquet etc? or should i use another vanilla extract?
Thanks!

20 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 21

I would imagine you could use any flavor you wanted to. I use just vanilla often in the WASC (of course then I call it WVSC). The vanilla I use is Happy Home brand, but I'm not sure it makes any difference really.

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 21

There is a link somewhere on this website for WASC extender recipes.There is Chocolate, lemon, white chocolate,etc...
I use wilton clear vanilla and instead of almond I use real lemon extract. My most requested cake!
I'll look for the link, but you could PM JanH she certainly has it.

vagostino Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 21

thanks! I'm triyng to just make taste like vanilla, they don;t want any secondary flavors in it...maybe if i can get another vanilla or even adding a little bit of butter flavoring? thanks for your help!

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 21

Here is the link for many alternatives to the WASC

http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 21

I'm a nut for creme bouquet. I've used instead of almond in the WASC recipe and loved it. I get lots of raves whenever I use creme bouquet in my cakes or icing. I never tell people what it is they're tasting. I leave them wondering and wanting more. Sometimes it's pretty funny what people will do to try and find out what your

Quote:
Quote:

secret ingredient

is. Only my daughter knows. Just my 2 cents worth.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 21

If you are trying to stick close to a WASC have you tried Butavan. Check out Earlene's site she is Butavan queen.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 21

I am not a fan of almond so I either use all vanilla in the WASC, 2 parts vanilla and 1 part butter flavor, or I sometimes use coconut extract. Stay light on the coconut extract and no one will even know it's in there.

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:27pm
post #9 of 21

I really don't like almond at all so when I make it I just replace the almond with butter flavoring. It always gets rave reviews so unless you just want something unique, that's always an option.

Anya

Jmtreu98 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeAlayne

I am not a fan of almond so I either use all vanilla in the WASC, 2 parts vanilla and 1 part butter flavor, or I sometimes use coconut extract. Stay light on the coconut extract and no one will even know it's in there.

Coconut would be awesome in the WASC....Great idea

See ya at the Walworth County Fair this weekend!!!!

vagostino Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 21

great ideas everyone! thanks so much! Since my friend wants white cake flavor i think that the butter/vanilla is going to be the best! although i can't wait to try that coconut!
the butavan looks soo yummy! I think I'm going to get me some and give it a try as well!

ColeAlayne Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmtreu98

Quote:

Did you enter in the Fair? I had the great brainstorm to enter a cake, but unfortunately the idea didn't hit me until after the deadline icon_sad.gif

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 21

I might be going to the Walworth County Fair this weekend! icon_smile.gif Ive been going there all my life. There are cake competitions there???

Jmtreu98 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:22pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmtreu98

Quote:

Did you enter in the Fair? I had the great brainstorm to enter a cake, but unfortunately the idea didn't hit me until after the deadline icon_sad.gif

Good God No...My work stinks, not ready for the fair world yet...Still learning. I just got excited to see someone from Wisconsin! Don't see that too often. icon_biggrin.gif

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:59pm
post #15 of 21

Oh, man! Let me count the ways ... Lemon, raspberry, coconut, pomegranate (my fav), orange, or just all vanilla.

I have some clients that love the original with almond but usually I play around a little. Like ColeAlayne says, keep it light and it just adds the essence and then you can flavor the fillings and/or icing to come up with some great combos. thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:15pm
post #16 of 21

I use vanilla liquid coffee creamer in place of 2 c water (adding the other 2/3 c water) and butter flavoring in place of the vanilla/almond extract.

CarolAnn Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:54pm
post #17 of 21

I'll be at the county fair in Sandwich, Ill next week. I'm always excited to get to the building with the cakes. I look forward to our trip up there every September.

ColeAlayne Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:01am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori2240

I might be going to the Walworth County Fair this weekend! icon_smile.gif Ive been going there all my life. There are cake competitions there???

You can enter your cake in a decorating or tasting competition at the Walworth County Fair. They have all sorts of different categories. I would like to try something like that. I think I'm finally ready icon_biggrin.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 4:23am
post #19 of 21

Hi! I use rum extract in place of almond. I love the almond but I read another post about a nut allergy and paniced ever since. I use half the amount of rum extract, I forget the recipe off the top of my head, does it call for two TSP of almond? If so, I use 1 TSP. whatever it is, I use half.

CarolAnn Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:39am
post #20 of 21

stephaniescakenj, I just got some imitation almond extract to use when I make it when there is any question about allergies. May not be the real thing but it tastes good and I know it's safe. No one can tell the difference.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 31 Aug 2008 , 2:03pm
post #21 of 21

It's really nice that you've switched from real to artificial almond because of folks with allergies, but it's really unlikely that anyone with a nut allergy would eat any cake that smelled of almond. I know I wouldn't. It's just not worth the risk. Of course, unless I made it or I can read a label, I really just skip eating cakes out at all.
I used the WASC recipe, but I use vanilla. I guess that make it WVSC??? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%