Sugar Coated Fruit?

Sugar Work By julia1963 Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 12:20pm by julia1963

julia1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1963 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone. I hope I am posting this question in the right place.

My daughter is getting married the 1st of November. She wants fruit on her cake and her colors are burgundy and orange. I can do grapes for the burgundy, but the orange? Can I do orange segments or chocolate dipped orange candy slices? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also can you only coat fruit with egg white and dip in sugar or is there a better way. Thank you ail so much. Julia

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:18am
post #2 of 6

What about cape gooseberries, kumquats or apricots for the orange? icon_smile.gif I used these sugared on a cake I did for the autumn years ago. Here's a photo and a close-up pic of cape gooseberries. They have a wonderful colour, are easy to sugar and they look amazing when you peel and twist their "tops!

As for the burgundy, maybe you can find some fresh cranberries, dark crab apples and even red plums to add to the array?

I'd avoid sugaring orange segments as they as too moist and will weep instead of drying with that crisp, translucent suagr-coating.

You can pretty much sugar any fruits or flowers/leaves that are semi-hard and don't weep juices. Grapes, figs, gooseberries, cape gooseberries, crab apples, pears, roses, etc. Raspberries won't work well either.

The technique I use is to brush on the egg white very thinly and lightly with a small paintbrush and then carefully toss the fruit in jelly/superfine sugar. (Regular granulated sugar will work, but it's not that fine delicate coating of sugar that looks as thin as a shell in the end.)

Let the fruits dry to a crunchy coating, a few hours or overnight.

Don't put sugared fruits in the fridge or they will eventually get moist and the sugar weeps...ruining the effect.
LL
LL

clarasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarasmommy Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:41am
post #3 of 6

I don't know about the orange.. But grapes are delicious frozen, then just rolled in regular sugar. They look sparkly and everything. I think it would look great on a wedding cake!

JanetPlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetPlanet Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #4 of 6

I just heard Alton Brown's RAW EGG! RAW EGG! alarm go off. Is there another way to adhere the sugar? Using an egg creeps me out.....

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:04am
post #5 of 6

So use meringue powder mixed with water....or maybe even clear corn syrup mixed with a bit of water would work to adhere the sugar to the fruit? icon_confused.gif

julia1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1963 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much for your help. I new there were more kinds of fruit , but my mind goes blank some times. LOL antonia74 your cake is beautiful thank you for sharing that picture with me. Julia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%