Adding Flower Picks To Fondant Iced Sponge Cake?

Decorating By debbiepowdrill Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 9:29pm by debbiepowdrill

debbiepowdrill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbiepowdrill Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 10

Having made a three tier fondant wedding cake 8, 10, 12 inch round, I have now got the problem of inserting 3 heavily decorated flower picks in a very small space. The cake is made of sponge and now I am concerned that when I place the picks into the sponge it may split the fondant.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Debbie

9 replies
jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 10

Are they real flowers?

debbiepowdrill Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 10

No they are sugar paste.

Thank you for replying.

Debbie

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 10

I recently had a similar concern. I'd made several gum paste floral picks that were pretty heavy I worried about them pulling out of the tiered cake after I put them in the picks. So I ended up using straws instead of pics. The straws go down deeper into the cake and can hold more weigh. If you're worried about the wires touching the cake just put a small piece of fondant in the bottom of the straw. I didn't do that though, the cake itself made a little plug in the bottom of the straw. It worked great and none of the flowers moved at all. Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif

HTH

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 10

I've not done this myself but I'm sure I read somebody say they cut a little cross in fondant to prevent any splits or tears when they have to insert things.

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 10

Hi Debbie,
I use flower picks a lot for my cakes that have wired and beaded toppers which are sometimes heavy. I've never had any problem with the fondant splitting or cracking on any of them, the fondant never seems to be so dry that it would crack easily if that makes sense. How long after fondant icing the cake will you put in the flower pick and flowers?
Jenny

debbiepowdrill Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 10

Did you mean drinking straws? If so its to late for this cake as the flower wires have already been set into the picks. I was thinking of using an apple corer to bore out a large enough hole to drop the flower picks into without having to displace the icing/sponge.

Do you think this would work?

Desparate Deb icon_sad.gif

debbiepowdrill Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 10

marksmum: Thats a good idea for the icing but when I put pressure through the cake is there a chance that it may split the sides because the picks are going to be so close to the edges.

murf: It will still be soft as its only going to be 24hrs from icing it.

Thanks again everyone.

Deb

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 10

Deb
I'm sorry I honestly don't know as I've never tried it - If you use the apple corer tho i think you will need to make sure the hole was slightly smaller than the pick so it was a firm fit - if the hole is too big the picks might move around in the extra space with the weight in them and tear the sides anyway. Maybe I'm talking rubbish as I've never done this - I'm just trying to help you consider all possibilities to avoid disaster.
Sorry I can't be of any real help.

debbiepowdrill Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 10

Marksmum, thank you for your support, the cake goes to a friends wedding this saturday so, the moral of this story is, make sure when offering to make the wedding cake that everything is planned right down to the smallest detail or...have the telephone number of a good baker.
p.s would you even consider doing a 3 tier sponge cake for a summer wedding or have i really gone bonkers the predicted temperature for saturday is 24 degrees!
Debbie icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%