Chocolate Fondant

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 2:45am by cylstrial

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #1 of 5

How do you make chocolate fondant? Or where do you buy it? Or do you just use brown and color the white fondant?

Thanks!

4 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:30am
post #2 of 5

I would personally just buy it. Try intotheoven.com That's where I get my Satin Ice fondant.

Jibbies

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:34am
post #3 of 5

I've also used Satin Ice chocolate fondant and like it. It's quite a relief to just open it and use it without the endless working in of the food color.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:44am
post #4 of 5

And here's a tip: You can knead in white MMF to the brown and it will go much further! The SI brown is so dark it's almost black.

But, if you want to try your own brown MMF, here's a method I've waiting to try:

Chocolate/brown MMF:
16 oz mini-marshmallows (NOT Jet-Puffed. I use Wal Mart brand)
2 T water
**Grease a micro-safe bowl, add MMs, sprinkle with water, melt 1 minute, stir**
add
1 oz melted semi-sweet chocolate
1 T glycerine
1 t popcorn salt (or grind regular salt in a coffee grinder - you'll get crystals if you don't)
2 t Nielsen Massey's chocolate extract
Half a jar of Wilton brown food color
2 T cocoa powder
**stir**
add
2 lbs powdered sugar (again, store brands tend to be better for MMF - more cornstarch?)

Start by stirring in 1/2 c of PS to absorb moisture before dumping in more to help avoid clumps. Each time you add PS make you you stir it well so that it's well absorbed before adding more. When you are down to the last 1/3 of the bag, dump it in and knead with your greased hands. Form a ball and wrap with plastic wrap to rest at least 4 hours. To re-soften, place it in the micro a few seconds at a time and knead. If it is too sticky, knead in cornstarch a little at a time.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:45am
post #5 of 5

Awesome!! Thank you both so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%