Chocolate Michele Foster's Fondant

Decorating By Bettycrockermommy Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 12:06am by Sugarflowers

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 17

Does anyone know how much chocolate I need to add to make chocolate MFF? I thought I read a post once about adding a cup of semi sweet choc. chips, but now I can't find it. icon_cry.gif I hope someone can help me with this. I need to make a lot of brown fondant tonight, and thought it would taste better chocolate!

TIA!

Vicki

16 replies
Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 17

i have been thinking this same thing
I would love to know.
I am making a german chocolate cake this weekend and would love to cover it with chocolate MFF.

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 17

I have a old post that I printed and it said 1 cup of chocolate chips and about 4 oz. of white chocolate for the white chocolate fondant.

Hope this helps.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 17

Do you melt the chips down first, and then add it to the liquid, or do they melt into the liquid?

dolittle Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 17

This is what Michele told me to do.

When adding chocolate for fondant, add it during the cooking process so that it can melt. You will need to strain all of the cooked ingredients when adding it to the powdered sugar. The reason for this is that sometimes there are gelatin lumps and with chocolate, it doesn't always melt completely. A finer strainer will take a little longer, but your fondant will be much nicer.

Good luck!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks for your help, dolittle! I'm gonna try this when I get home from work tonight.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 17

great to know thanks
just wondering
do you have to add additional powdered sugar to balance out the additional liquid that your adding with the melted chocolate??

Can you substitute some of the powdered sugar for cocoa powder??

dolittle Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 17

This is what I was told . Sorry just found this in a old P.M.
Michele please correct me if any of this is wrong . I'm just going off notes I have.

You may have to reduce the powdered sugar a little bit because the chocolate makes the fondant stiffer. You may also have to add a little more glycerin.

dolittle Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 17

This could come in handy too.

You will need real chocolate that has cocoa butter in it. The candy melts have a lot of wax in them and usually some sort of other oil. The cocoa butter adds flavor and makes for a smoother fondant. You can buy white chocolate chips too, just look at the ingredients for cocoa butter.

Thanks to Michele for my notes. icon_smile.gif

ritterwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ritterwoman Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 17

icon_biggrin.gif How about using the chocolate flavored marshmellows?

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritterwoman

I've been wondering the same thing....theres even strawberry ones too? I havent been brave enough to see if they work yet. I wouldn't doubt if they do just fine.

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 17

I don't normally make marshmallow fondant but I did try the strawberry marshmallows and it turned out well...tasted like strawberry ice cream. The chocolate marshmallows seem to have more air in them so it might take a few more than normal but I don't see why that wouldn't work!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 17

just fyi heres the link to this recipe being talked about earlier in the month.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-598669-0-days0-orderasc-.html

I guess you could PM Michele here on CC I think her user name is Sugarflowers if you had any additional questions. She is always so nice and helpful here on the forums.

Copacabanya - thats good to hear that the Strawberry works good - fears gone - thanks!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:40pm
post #14 of 17

Cocoa powder definately dries the fondant out and changes the texture. I've gone the added 1 cup chocolate chips route and was hoping for a deeper chocolate flavor, so now I mix in modeling chocolate to my fondant. I have control over how much chocolate flavor I want by adjusting the ratio of modeling chocolate to fondant.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:22pm
post #15 of 17

Wow! Lots of ideas now! Thanks everyone!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 8:13pm
post #16 of 17

I made this last night with the 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. It was a little more sticky than the regular fondant, but I just added a bit more powdered sugar. My daughters said it tasted like a soft tootsie roll. icon_biggrin.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:06am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritterwoman

Since this is not a marsmallow fondant recipe, the chocolate marshmallows would not work. Chocolate chips are the easiest way to get the flavor, but sometimes brown food coloring needs to be added for a darker color.

About 1 cup of chocolate chips works well and is added during the cooking process. As was stated, be sure to strain the liquid before adding it to the powdered sugar. Otherwise you are likely to have some nasty lumps in your fondant.

I have attached the vanilla version of recipe for easier reference. I hope you like it.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%