Best Type Of Frosting For Mousse Fillings?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 2:14pm by sweet_2th_fairy

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 8

I was thinking of making a chocolate WASC cake with a mousse filling. What is the best type of frosting to use and/or complement a cake with a mousse filling (i.e. buttercream, whipped cream, etc.)? Is it best to keep the frosting unflavored if the filling is flavored?

Or if I were to make a chocolate kahlua filling, what frosting do you recommend?

7 replies
jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 8

Some mousses are firm enough to frost with. Is yours? WASC has sourcream in it, maybe a whipped cream, slightly sweetened with a tablespoon or two of sour cream whipped in. The sour cream actualy firms up the heavy cream a litte.

Or a light whipped ganache.

600g Heavy cream
450 g top quality milk chocolate (Valrhona or Cocoa Barry)

Boil the cream and pour over the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Add some Kahlua! Chill overnight and whip with a wire whisk until firm. This ganache can easily over-whip so constant attention is required.

This is a good question, though, because even though I use SMBC or IMBC, I find they clash with a mousse.

EDIT-
Don't use anything unflavored. IMHO. A little vanilla, a bit of liquer- you should add a little something into whatever "frosting" you decide on.

Have you considered using a glaze instead?

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you for the advice. I'm new at baking so I don't have a particular mousse recipe in mind. I was just reading all the different recipes on CC. The chocolate WASC recipe I was going to use is from CC. A glaze or ganache would be fine, I just wasn't sure how to decorate it. (I just finished my Wilton Course #1 decorating class and wanted to use my newly acquired "skills" so I figured working with buttercream would be my best option.) Using a glaze or ganache would be nice, but what do you use to decorate it?

jules1719- the ganache recipe that you posted...it does harden, right?

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 8

My fav is choc. cake w/ whipped choc. ganache filling, iced in a light coating of buttercream then covered in choc. ganache. Decorating with choc. buttercream is really pretty and adding fresh fruit like strawberries and kiwi and grapes make it look gorgeous! Now I'm HUNGRY icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 8

I like swiss meringue buttercream (SMBC). You can flavor it with just about anything too. Chocolate cake filled with chocolate mousse and ganache topped with chocolate SMBC is to die for.. vailla SMBC is also a great option. The frosting itself is very mousse-like in consistency so it goes well.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 8

I got a very good recipe for French BC from epicurious.com It is light and goes w/ pretty much any flavor/recipe.

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_2th_fairy

Thank you for the advice. I'm new at baking so I don't have a particular mousse recipe in mind. I was just reading all the different recipes on CC. The chocolate WASC recipe I was going to use is from CC. A glaze or ganache would be fine, I just wasn't sure how to decorate it. (I just finished my Wilton Course #1 decorating class and wanted to use my newly acquired "skills" so I figured working with buttercream would be my best option.) Using a glaze or ganache would be nice, but what do you use to decorate it?

jules1719- the ganache recipe that you posted...it does harden, right?

No, after chilling overnight, it's like a thick pudding. When you whip it, it turns into the silkiest, most luxurious frosting imaginable. But the cake must be kept chilled.

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the recipe and other recommendations. I'm making this cake for some visitors out of town and am running short on time (and ingredients)! So I will be making a raspberry cream cheese filling with a chocolate syrup frosting. I will save all of your advice for future reference. Thank you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%