Need Help With What To Use For Fillings Between Layers

Decorating By blueskiz2 Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 11:05pm by indydebi

blueskiz2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueskiz2 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I recently made my first ever fondant covered cake and did some cupcakes with sugarpaste figures for my daughter's fourth birthday party. I am happy to say I am pleased with the results. (I made fondant and gumpaste toppers shaped like bear faces, bunnies, a horse, and dogs for her Build-a-bear party.) There are pictures of them on my blog.

Anyway...I have a baby shower coming up that I am giving for a friend and I wanted to make a 2 tier fondant covered cake. My problem is, I am just not sure what to use for a filling. I did the durable 3D cake recipe (choc with choc. chips added in) for the cupcakes and used the WASC recipe for the cake I made for my daughters birthday. I wasn't too thrilled with the WASC. It seemed a bit dry and I am sure was not helped by my inexpertise at knowing what to use as a filling.

For her cake, I used a mixture of buttercream icing and strawberry pie filling (from a can) but it seemed rather sweet. On another smaller cake I tried just the plain filling (inside a piped ring of buttercream) and that was better, but I put too much on at first and it oozed out the sides when I put the top layer on.

But I didn't think any of it was exceptional. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to use with a yellow cake? Or even a red velvet? I thought about some sort of apricot, but even that I am not sure about.

What are your winning combinations? I was thinking maybe something with some strawberry or almond or apricot for a filling, but I really don't know. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance for anyone who takes the time to offer help to a novice like me!

Pam
http://daring2beme.blogspot.com/

(BTW, my blog is new, just starting out...trying to get my feet wet so please excuse any blunders or leave any advice you might have.)

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 7

my most popular fillings for yellow cake are choc fudge, banana, and red raspberry. For red velvet, it's cream cheese and chocolate fudge.

I use the sleeve fillings. They are made for cakes so they're probably not as sweet as the canned fillings you're using.

blueskiz2 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 7

But where do you find sleeve fillings?

indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 7

I get them at my local cake supply store, or you can order them from Country Kitchen in Ft. Wayne, IN>

http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx

They have a shelf life of almost forever.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 7

I don't get very many requests for yellow cake its usually white, chocolate and red velvet in that order. My most popular fillings are lemon, raspberry and white chocolate mousse for the white cake, chocolate ganache for the chocolate cake and cream cheese for the red velvet. I use the sleeve fillings and I also use the canned pie filling for the lemon I use raspberry preserves with seeds for the raspberry.
Debi sorry that your speaking gig got cancelled but I'm sure you made it a profitable time. Also I've never thought about chocolate fudge filling with red velvet gonna have to try that!

Jibbies

blueskiz2 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 7

Ok, showing off just how much of a novice I am here again, but these sleeve fillings, like the ones you sent me in the link indydebi, these are usually called pastry fillings, right? I just want to make sure I am looking for the correct thing.

Also, jibbies, do you have a recipe for white cake that you love? I tried the WASC recipe as I mentioned before, but was not blown away by it. Maybe I did something wrong? I'd sort of prefer a white cake (sounds yummy with any of the fillings you suggested.) I am wanting to cover this cake with predominately white fondant (with accents of pink and chocolate brown) so having a white based cake might be better...

And my friend loves red velvet, so I thought about that too. But she also recently told me that any cake is good cake as far as she's concerned (35 weeks along now.)

Anyway, jibbies, or anyone else who has recipes to recommend, please please give them to me.

Thanks again for all your help!

indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiz2

Ok, showing off just how much of a novice I am here again, but these sleeve fillings, like the ones you sent me in the link indydebi, these are usually called pastry fillings, right? I just want to make sure I am looking for the correct thing.

Yes, I believe so. They got the nickname "sleeve" fillings because they come in a long plastic sleeve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%