Drawbacks Of Owning Fondant Only Cake Business?

Business By SweetAsLemmons Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 8:11pm by FromScratch

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:53pm
post #31 of 57

jkalman i am secretly cake stalking you so next up on my list of things to try will be Michele's fondant icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:01pm
post #32 of 57

Hehehehe... awwwe.. I'm so flattered. I have a cake stalker. icon_lol.gif

But really.. you won't be disappointed.. it performs better than many commercial brands I have tried and out of every recipe I have tried.. it is the best in taste and texture. It really does have to set up over night.. and when you knead it.. it will seem odd.. it will split a lot and look jaggedy (new word?) but keep kneading and it will transform into a beautiful lump of smooth fondant. icon_biggrin.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

jkalman i am secretly cake stalking you so next up on my list of things to try will be Michele's fondant icon_smile.gif

You will love this recipe - as said previously it rolls super thin. I served a cake at a party a few weeks ago with this fondant, while cleaning up I noticed not a single plate had the fondant picked off.

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:22pm
post #34 of 57

In my area, most customers prefer b/c. I like to work with fondant, but it's not the rage here yet. Sharon Zambito has the most wonderful dvds for fondant, stacking and buttercream cakes. you would think her b/c cakes are fondant. I don't do things exactly like her, but it helped on some cakes I did this weekend. She is also a member here, sharonssugarshack.com. I wouldn't limit yourself to just fondant, but maybe just push it more if you can.
-michelle

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:26pm
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Fondant in of itself isn't nasty.. Wilton fondant is nasty.. OMG.. and Satin Ice I even don't like much. .

I tell my brides I don't use the "craft store fondant"...afterall, why do you think they sell it at a craft store?

I also do not like the smell of Satin Ice and the flavor is too strong. I became a fondx convert long ago.

(If I had the money I would use Massa!)

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:59pm
post #36 of 57

I'm guessing you really, really do not want to do BC, so don't. I really, really do not want to do fondant, so I don't. Check your area, make sure you can make a living doing only fondant cakes, and then go for it. Do what you love and find a way to make it work.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #37 of 57

I love the look of fondant...but covering a cake is a whole other matter icon_mad.gif I exclusively do all my cakes in WBH buttercream and my clientelle have come to expect that.Fondant is very expensive to buy and most of my customers don't like it and won't spend the extra money to pay for it on a cake. I have done several competition cakes and will only do them in fondant but that is covering dummines...I stink at covering real cakes icon_cry.gif Like others have mentioned it all depends on your area and what the clientelle will like and pay for...For my money I would not just include fondant only cakes but rather a assortment of Buttercream,Fondant.I just wouldn't get any business!! icon_wink.gif

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:53pm
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Fondant in of itself isn't nasty.. Wilton fondant is nasty.. OMG.. and Satin Ice I even don't like much. It smells like vanilla play-doh to me. There are delicious fondant brands out there. Choco-pan is good.. Fondex is good too. I like making fondant (and not MMF which I find very chewy when it dries and sickly sweet). You can make real fondant for the same cost and it's way better IM(not-so)HO. icon_lol.gif I recommend Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe. I would love to only offer fondant cakes for the simple fact that you can transport and handle them easier than BC cakes. When people insist on picking up their cakes I will insist on fondant since I use SMBC and it doesn't crust and it is VERY easily marred.

Could I please get a link to her fondant?

Magnum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magnum Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:56pm
post #39 of 57

I'm from the uk and i don't believe you can get buttercream covered cakes here (someone please do correct me if i'm wrong). As far as i'm aware, it's used purely as a cake filling.
Thats why i was pretty confused when i looked at pictures and they said they were covered in BC because our buttercream is really soft and not stiff enough to cover cakes.

I think it's a real skill being able to cover a cake in buttercream and have it really smooth. I never knew you could do that with BC before i came on this site icon_redface.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:15pm
post #41 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I am waiting breathlessly for the Jenna Bush cake method to be all the rage --texture texture texture, random cakey spatula texture. Yes?

I am lost here. What do you mean "Jenna Bush cake method"?
Sorry but I got lost in this thread when this popped up icon_redface.gif

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:48pm
post #42 of 57

Thank you jkalman,

We have never tried fondant before and are hoping to sometime this week. Yeah!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:36pm
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum

I'm from the uk and i don't believe you can get buttercream covered cakes here (someone please do correct me if i'm wrong). As far as i'm aware, it's used purely as a cake filling.
Thats why i was pretty confused when i looked at pictures and they said they were covered in BC because our buttercream is really soft and not stiff enough to cover cakes.

I think it's a real skill being able to cover a cake in buttercream and have it really smooth. I never knew you could do that with BC before i came on this site icon_redface.gif

In the uk, isn't covering cakes with Royal Icing the more common thing or am I showing my age?

I think BC here is different from BC there...do you use IMBC?

FromScratch Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:31pm
post #44 of 57

In the UK they use mostly marzipan and fondant as far as I have read.

Oh and Jenna Bush's cake was one of those sloppy (on purpose) iced cakes.. with all the waves and stuff. I personally dislike that look but whatever floats your boat right?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:14am
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I am waiting breathlessly for the Jenna Bush cake method to be all the rage --texture texture texture, random cakey spatula texture. Yes?

I am lost here. What do you mean "Jenna Bush cake method"?
Sorry but I got lost in this thread when this popped up icon_redface.gif

Here is a link to a picture of Jenna Bush's cake. You can see the texturing on the bottom tiers. This is balanced, neat, tidy, looks not only very edible but it also looks like a cake.

http://www.yumsugar.com/1644578[/url]

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:38am
post #46 of 57

I'm now out of business because of losing my licensed kitchen rental (long story there, but irrelevent to this)... I didn't limit myself out of doing buttercream coated cakes, HOWEVER, I made it more desirable to go for the fondant covered cake than buttercream unless they went for some rough iced design. At the end I was setting a policy that Fondant coated cakes were going to be $1 less per slice than Buttercream...

Here's why: I'm a very picky icer when it comes to buttercream. If I can see where the spatula stopped it's not smooth enough for me PERIOD. I will spend 6 hours smooth icing cakes to my standards. How much is 6x15? Yep, that's a lot of money for the value of time. Now, compare that to the cost of a tub of fondant.

Also, if you are going to go "Fondant only", make sure you're using a good brand of fondant!! You're going to go through a lot of it (at some point making your own just isn't economical) and most of all it needs to be a quality flavor and texture. I use Albert Uster and I've never had any problems, even in "hickville" where I've taken fondant covered cakes the caterers comment that it's the first wedding they've been to in a LONG time that the plates got licked clean instead of half the cake being left on the tables...

Start off as simply cheaper for fondant than buttercream and make your reasons known because then it becomes your reputation. If you market a quality product the right customer in your niche, there is a market in any area. As like any other part of booking a wedding cake, turn it into an educational consultation and explain the differences of Wilton Fondant to 99% of all other fondants on the market and the palatability...

Good luck!!!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 7:06am
post #47 of 57

The question is how good are you with buttercream and how fast are you at it could be a major decision for yourself. I can sttack a 3 tier wedding cake and finish it in buttercream in 2 and a half hours. Smooth enough to compete with fondant cakes. But I know some people have issues with this. As long as the cake is well finish and pretty, it doesnt matter to me if it is fondant or buttercream
But the majority of people dont like fondant, they just like the look. That means higher prices that has to be pass to your costumers if you are doing only fondant cakes. That could be good or bad depending on what part you live.
Edna

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm
post #48 of 57

I think it depends on the type of business you have. If you have a bakery that does lots of weddings a weekend it may not work doing fondant only.

I am a custom cake studio. I strictly limit my cakes per weekend. I am fondant only and love it! I've only had one bride not want fondant. I had her come in and taste my fondant and she really liked it. Turns out she had only had the Wilton toxic fondant and never tasted REAL fondant before.

Magnum Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:52pm
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum

In the uk, isn't covering cakes with Royal Icing the more common thing or am I showing my age?

I think BC here is different from BC there...do you use IMBC?

I think covering a cake in royal icing is seen as dated now because fondant has taken over. I have a few old cake decorating books, from 1980 icon_surprised.gif that just focus on royal icing.

Sorry to be a bit thick but what is IMBC? icon_redface.gif

Magnum Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:12pm
post #50 of 57

I just looked up IMBC and we don't use it. BC over hear is just butter, flavouring, water and powdered sugar which is why i was really confused when i read about cakes being decorated with BC on this site.
The cake fillings i've seen on this site are soooo extensive too and the cake recipes.
Mousse fillings, pudding in cake mixes, crusting BC......its all new to me but its so inspiring and interesting icon_biggrin.gif

sweettoothmom Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:36pm
post #51 of 57

More on the Jenna Bush cake "debockle" hee hee
http://mixmingleglow.com/blog/?p=367

sweettoothmom Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:43pm
post #52 of 57

Magnum,
I had no idea that cake could be so different from one continent to another. It is amazing to me. After all it is just Cake. Yummy wonderful delightful cake.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:02pm
post #53 of 57

Didn't read through all the posts, but I only do fondant, and usually am booked with 3-4 cakes/week. Works for me!

Magnum Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 5:16pm
post #54 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

Magnum,
I had no idea that cake could be so different from one continent to another. It is amazing to me. After all it is just Cake. Yummy wonderful delightful cake.

I can't believe the differences. I had never even heard of red velvet cake before! lol
In terms of sugarcraft, i think we're pretty much the same but the cake flavours and fillings in the U.S just seem endless!

sweettoothmom Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:37pm
post #55 of 57

Red velvet is a favorite in the South of The USA.
In Texas where I am originally from how well a woman makes a Pound Cake and a Red Velvet is very important for bragging rights.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 7:41pm
post #56 of 57
Quote:

it doesn't sour over time with the milk in it?

i know sugar is a preservative...but just curious ....i'd like to make up a bunch and keep it in a bucket for future use.

FromScratch Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 8:11pm
post #57 of 57

Littlecakes.. Nope.. it doesn't. icon_smile.gif I have had some for months in a bucket and it is as good as the day I made it. I have kept a little bit aside to see how long.. it's been 3 months.. and it's fine.. no signs of spoilage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%