White Chocolate Ganache, Fresh Strawberries

Decorating By rosiecakes Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 5:22pm by CakeWhizz

rosiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecakes Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 4

Hey Yâall
Iâm making a cake for my grand-nephewâs Christening this weekend. I want to have three layers of white chocolate ganache with sliced strawberries between the 1 inch layers of white cake and cover the whole thing with French buttercream. Here are my questions-

1.  When I went shopping the other night I found white chips but not white chocolate, will these work in the event I canât locate real white chocolate in this one horse grocery challenged town?
2.  Using fresh strawberries in this combo. I will assemble and decorate sat night and refrig overnight for Sunday morning brunch, am I asking for trouble? Will my berries wilt and break down my ganache? I would appreciate pointers from anyone who has tried this combo before.

Thanks in advance for everyoneâs help!

Rose

3 replies
pastrylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrylady Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 4

If you've never made white chocolate ganache before you should know that you cannot use the same recipe for wc ganache as you do for dark chocolate ganache. You'll need to use much less cream in a white chocolate ganache or it'll be too runny. If you have a recipe that's specifically for wc ganache then you should be fine. I use a 4:1 ration of chocolate to cream for white chocolate ganache.

As far as the chips: as long as they are "real" white chocolate, which means it's made from cocoa butter, milk solids and flavorings, and not a candy coating you should be fine. Just look at the ingredients on the package.

As far as using the strawberries in the filling: I've never done this specifically, and the strawberries won't "break down" the ganache, but my only concern would be that the strawberries will bleed and make a slick layer in the middle of the ganache. I would say as long as you make sure the strawberries are mixed into the ganache a little and not kept as a separate layer you'll be ok.

HTH

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 4

Sorry I do not have any advice to add, but I did want to say your cake sounds delicious and I would love to try something like that.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Good luck.

Kim

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrylady

If you've never made white chocolate ganache before you should know that you cannot use the same recipe for wc ganache as you do for dark chocolate ganache. You'll need to use much less cream in a white chocolate ganache or it'll be too runny. If you have a recipe that's specifically for wc ganache then you should be fine. I use a 4:1 ration of chocolate to cream for white chocolate ganache.

As far as the chips: as long as they are "real" white chocolate, which means it's made from cocoa butter, milk solids and flavorings, and not a candy coating you should be fine. Just look at the ingredients on the package.

As far as using the strawberries in the filling: I've never done this specifically, and the strawberries won't "break down" the ganache, but my only concern would be that the strawberries will bleed and make a slick layer in the middle of the ganache. I would say as long as you make sure the strawberries are mixed into the ganache a little and not kept as a separate layer you'll be ok.

HTH

Spot on thumbs_up.gif Maybe you could try SMBC with some melted white chocolate added into it. Then you can also add strawberry preserve if you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%