Blowtorch???

Decorating By kkswmmr114 Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm by kkswmmr114

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:08am
post #1 of 6

I just have a question about something that I have seen several times, but never understood. Watching the food network cake challenges I have seen several people use small torches on the outside of the metal bowls when they are making their icing. Why?? Im just curious...

Marlee

5 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:38am
post #2 of 6

If the buttercream is too cold to really whip up well, you hit the outside of the bowl with a blowtorch. It "melts" the outside layer of buttercream, which gets whipped into the rest and brings it up to the right temp & consistency to whip.

We used to do that in culinary class all the time. There's always a few in the class that like the blowtorch a *bit* more than others icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:05am
post #3 of 6

I couldn't live without my torch.. I use SMBC and it is temperature sensitive. If it's too cold it gets super lumpy when you whip it up, but a few passes with the torch and it's tamed and wonderful again.

I think you would use it mainly with the meringue based buttercreams as opposed to powdered sugar based buttercreams, but I am sure that it would work with both.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:18am
post #4 of 6

And it gets cheesecakes out of the pan like a dream! Couldn't live w/o my torch!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:41am
post #5 of 6

Ooooh.. I forgot about that.. don't forget creme brulee!! icon_wink.gif

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 6

I figured that was the answer... Thank you!! I just think I would be dangerous with a blowtorch.... Lol... My boyfriend wouldn't allow it near me!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%