Whimsical Cake Assembly

Decorating By beverlyanne Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 9:32pm by deliciously_decadent

beverlyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beverlyanne Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 2

Hello Cakers,
I'm seriously thinking about making a Whimsical Cake; I've checked out the directions/pictorial here, and I have one concern. How do I go about stacking the torted layers without compromising the edges of the finished layers, i.e, placing the torted cake in the lower section(s) (where the section is "carved out" to accomodate the next section). I hope that I'm making sense here. I can't imagine just dropping the sections; on Sugarshacks' DVD she uses bubble straws to stack her cakes. I wondering if that would be an easy way to avoid problems stacking a Whimsical Cake. Any thoughts/experiences that you can share is greatly appreciated.

Bev

1 reply
deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 2

hi there wimsical 'topsy turvey' cakes are my absolute favorite and the best person i ever learnt from was a book by lindy smith 'cakes to inspire and desire' it is my bible!!! it goes into everything to do with wonky cakes even square ones. i make them all the time as i don't think anyone else in my area does it! after levelling and flipping, i take my bigger cakes diagonally cut the top of spin it around and 'glue down' with ganache if you are scared to cut diagonally use a skewer as a guide insert on the angle you want through the cake and lean your knife on it.
next flip upside down and ganache on your cake card (for bigger cakes 2" smaller than the cake for the small cakes 1" smaller) then carve at an angle from the card edge down to the outside edge of the angled top. once this is done flip back over and ice as always!
when it comes time to stack you have two options you can stick as normal -i RI glue them but also put 5 blobs of fondant glued with water top and bottom so that when i put on the next tier it stcks straight away if it slides at all i wedge in a skewer that's whole will later be covered with the border. option two and a good way to start or for the really big 5 stacks etc is to center dowel the whole lot so that it doesn't slide.
hope this helped and i really recomend you read lindy's book you can get it on amazon etc. let me know if you have any questions!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%