Help Me Save This Cake

Decorating By Mom2ANC Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 8:36am by miny

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 3

I am new to selling cakes to family and friends, and am using any money I make to buy more supplies.
I have a cake to make for Saturday morning.
The customer got an 8 inch cake last time, but she said she wanted more servings. My plan was just to add a 6 inch tier to the top. I made a fondant loop bow to go on top and it is about 5 inches in diameter.

The 8 inch tier is to be chocolate and the 6 inch one WASC. I put the chocolate cake mix and the other dry ingredients in the kitchen aid and was going to let the whisk sift them all together while I greased my 8 inch pans. But, I can only find one 8 inch pan. My second 8 inch pan is gone. I have looked everywhere - in every cabinet, drawer, in the play kitchen, everywhere. I asked all the children. I am wondering if my toddler threw it in the trash, as that is his MO lately. Anyway, it is gone.
I have the dry ingredients in the mixer ready to go, so I can't even make WASC while I send someone to the store to get a new set of pans.

I was thinking I could just scratch the second tier idea and just make a larger round cake, like 9 inches, but then my bow topper is too small, right? If I do a 9 inch bottom and a 6 inch top, that is way too much cake, plus it adds an extra recipe and she is not paying me enough for that.

How can I just lose a pan? It has been 3 weeks since I used it last.

2 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:53am
post #2 of 3

Why not just make the batter and only bake 1/2 of it at a time? Bake in one pan, take the cake out, rinse, re-grease/flour and pour the rest of the batter in to bake.

That's how I have to do my ovals, since I only have one of each size.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:36am
post #3 of 3

I do the same as Karateka because I only have one 10-inch round, everytime I bake in it I think of buying another one then I forget!!!! icon_mad.gif , it's always the same. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%