Smbc At Room Temp

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 5:44am by ceshell

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 5

I know this has probably been asked, maybe multiple times, but I've searched everyway I know how with no success. So, I'm wondering how long can a cake sit out that is iced or filled with SMBC?

I have also read that some people make it w/ 1/2 shortening & 1/2 butter, would this make a difference in the amount of time it can sit out?

Thanks

4 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 5

are you asking in terms of it melting all over the place or for food safety?

i've had it sit out over night, nothing happened to it. still tasted good and yummy. it depends on the temperature i guess. i made it today and it was extremely hot, it didn't melt but was difficult to decorate with, had to keep sticking it in the fridge every 5 minutes.

HTH

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 5

more for food safety.

And since WBH doesn't include egg whites I'm wondering about it too. They have close to the same texture from what I remember. http://cakescanada.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66&highlight=whimsical

I also remembered Kaye's Buttercream--think it's an IMBC and they say it can sit out for 3 days at room temp. But I didn't know if it would be different for SMBC http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/bake/bake_detail_no_photo.html

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 5

thank you for posting about kaye's. i didn't see that mentioned in the book (about three days)! i love the house bc, will have to try that one now too.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:44am
post #5 of 5

Most recipes I see generally state 8 days in the fridge, 8 months frozen, and on an iced cake, keep refrigerated but let come to room temp before serving (so there you have at least 1-2 hours). But you're right, none of them ever state how long they may sit at room temperature! Usually I only leave it out the day it is being served, often for several hours...3-5 hours. As long as it's a cool room it is fine, but I personally would be nervous leaving a cake overnight with it (but then again I am a chicken when it comes to food safety, well except for my mad addiction to cake batter).

It may be that it is safer than we think but for risk/liability reasons few will ever go out on a limb to suggest that you may leave it on your counter for 2 days.

I doubt shortening vs butter would change much since you still have the egg whites to contend with as far as a technically perishable ingredient.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%