I Have A New Hobby...i Think Lol

Lounge By SweetPea0613 Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 4:27pm by janelwaters

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 11

So my brother and his girlfriend are having a baby and I found out what I can do for them!!

I can crochet a blankie for them!!

Is it crazy that I bought a book on how to crochet at walmart and I want to learn on my own????

Maybe I'm too ambitious...but I thought that something made with love( and tears..lol) would be an awesome present that anyone would appreciate...

well, I have seven more months to perfect it...or at least get it decent looking....

Does anyone think I'm taking on too much??? Is this something that shouldn't be self taught????

10 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 11

No! Good for you!
My best friend quilts, and gives them as gifts. It means SO much to me to get a handmade item that took time and effort (and eek, maybe tears). That means more than any item you could buy in a store, and is actually useful too!

I say go crazy! You will learn a new skill (I sure as heck can't crochet or knit...) and there are even great online tutorials if you need more help than the books can give.

Good for you, and good luck!

SweetPea0613 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:22am
post #3 of 11

thank you so much for your kind words sadiepix!!

icon_biggrin.gif

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:46am
post #4 of 11

Look out -you'll get hooked!!! I taught myself to crochet when I was about 12. So I've been crocheting for......well.....more years then I want to mention. icon_rolleyes.gif It's so much fun. Start out with a simple stitch until you can get the hang of how it feels, then when you get comfortable, you'll gradually be crocheting faster. The possibilities are endless. There are some stitches that definitely go quicker than others. I'd start with a small baby quilt, the instructions are usually easy to understand and you could finish it without getting discouraged. They will love the gift you made and be so appreciative of all the time you put into making it. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Pretty soon you'll find yourself always wanting to walk down the yarn isle! And before you know it, you'll end up with a nice stash of hooks, patterns and yarn!

Good Luck!
thumbs_up.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:03am
post #5 of 11

I just HAD to learn how to knit when I was pregnant. My mom taught me, but I never ended up making anything. Oh well. icon_lol.gif

My grandma taught me to crochet when I was little and it's fairly simple. I'm sure you'll pick it up in no time and make something beautiful for your new little niece or nephew. icon_smile.gif

SweetPea0613 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:07am
post #6 of 11

Thank you guys so much...I've master the chain stitch and the slip stitch but I just can't get passed the single crochet

I gotta keep practicing and not get so discouraged

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #7 of 11

To do a single crochet, wrap the yarn around the hook like you were going to make a chain stitch, push it through the loop you're making the stitch in, wrap the yarn around one more time, and then slide the two lower loops off of the hook, leaving only one loop on the hook.

I love to crochet. It's a great hobby because it's so portable, and not edible icon_lol.gif The easiest way to make a blanket is to make a granny square and just keep adding rows. My sister taught me how...she learned when she was in 7th grade because they had a class project making granny squares which someone's mom sewed together to be blankets for the homeless. Anyhow, they make great baby blankets because of all the holes. You don't have to worry about the baby pulling the blanket over his head and not being able to breathe.

This is one I made out of granny squares sewn together to look like a traditional quilt.

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 11

My grandmother can crochet. She cannot really do it now because it hurts her hands. But years ago she began doing baby blankets. She did one for each of her grandkids to get when their first child was born, one for the first greatgrand child of each family. I am lucky to be the first one in my family so I have one and I know that she will not be with us much longer and I will be able to hold on to this for a life time

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

~Alicia

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:25am
post #9 of 11

aww thats so sweet good luck with the crocheting

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 11

I was taught by my aunt to crochet and then I went to a class to learn the more technical stuff. I've only done 3 afghans: 1 for my mother, 1 for my OBGYN and 1 for my grandfather. When he passed away I put it in his coffin because I told him it was only for him. When my mother passed away, I gave her blanket to my niece because she loved my mom so much.

I agree with the granny squares! They are really easy to do and if you mess up then you only have to undo a square rather than a whole bunch of rows.

Good luck and Congrats!!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 11

Just keep at it. I taught myself to knit and crochet - both from books purchased at either Wal-mart or Michael's.

Good luck! Post pics when you get done!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%