Considering Changing Order On Sugar-Free Tier On Cake

Business By Petit-four Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 1:42pm by Petit-four

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:28pm
post #31 of 36

Holy crap! They are expensive. A 25lb box of PS is $100....the cost of the PS alone for one batch of icin (approximately 6 cups) would be $8.00. YIKES!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:35pm
post #32 of 36

Thank you for the idea, gabbycakes. I am using Splenda because that is the one my customer can have...but I'll check out WheyLow too.

DH just had the SF cake/cicing for dessert...and asked for another piece. He thought it was quite good, so I think it worked out with the modified version.

My opinion on the SF icing is that it holds up great (sat out for 8 hours, no problem), tastes pretty good, and is moderately good for piping and smoothing. It tends to be a little more yellow, so I'll tint my BC a little yellow to match the colors of the tiers.

Fortunately, the design calls for #3 vine/leaves and piped lily motifs with brushed on gold Luster dust , so it is pretty forgiving...I don't think I could do stringwork with this SF icing though! icon_confused.gif

Thanks everyone for the ideas and input... thumbs_up.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:51pm
post #33 of 36

Just wanted to add that I LOVE Whey Low, and use it in my coffee everyday!

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:44pm
post #34 of 36

Just something to keep in mind for those considering "diabetic" cakes. The sugar is an issue, but no more so than white flour. Both are simple carbohydrates which will cause a blood sugar spike. I am still working on cake recipe using spelt flour which is much more gentle on blood sugars.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:07pm
post #35 of 36

This is not a matter of artistic interpretation, it is a matter of a request for a special needs person. You definitely must consult with your client regarding this.

I would be more than angry if I ordered a cake for an event, only to find out that the person I am honoring with this cake could not eat it because the decorator didn't like the way it looked. If it's my dime, it's not the decorator's decision.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:42pm
post #36 of 36

Thank you, Lady Phoenix and foxymamma! icon_smile.gif

Yes, I told my client about the use of wheat flour, and in fact that's why I am sending her the ingredients label early -- so she can review it with her physician.

I agree -- and I would not intend to advertise "diabetic" cakes...I would probably call them low sugar or sugar-subsitute cakes -- and, like all my cakes, provide ingredient labels for them to look at. I already advise all clients with special needs to review all the ingredients with their physicians. thumbs_up.gif

Here's a compilation of some sugar-substitute recipes (but, again, keep in mind that they still have carbohydrates...like the Whey Low recipe uses corn syrup -- another form of sugar).

CC: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1980-0-Diabetic-Icing.html

note: I found changing the order of ingredients helped avoid clumping.

Whey Low: lots of butter-cream type recipes: http://www.wheylow.com/Articles.asp?ID=124

Splenda: (has nutritional analysis): http://splenda.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Recipe.aspx?nprid=104122 among others

Playingwithsugar: I'll send you a PM. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%