Firefighters' Cake - Maltese Cross?

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 1:18am by Kate714

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

We are going to our local fire department for my son's 3rd birthday party next week. The department is all volunteer, and we are just so happy they are willing to have the group there and show the kids everything. I am going to give them a donation and thought I would bring them a cake the following week. The problem is...I want a simple/easy design (not a fire truck, fire station, etc). I was thinking of doing a Maltese cross with the fire station initials in the middle, but does anyone know - is it correct/appropriate to use the Maltese cross as a universal firefighter symbol? I can't find any logo or whatever for this department, and I don't know anyone in it, nor do I want to ask and spoil the surprise. I'm hoping someone knows the answer - thanks!!

icon_smile.gif

5 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 6

Your city or township hall should be able to provide you with that information.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kate714 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 6

thank you, Theresa...actually, the department is not affiliated with my town at all, if that makes any sense...it's a separate entity, so I don't think the town would have any info.

Kate714 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:29am
post #4 of 6

anyone a firefighter or married to a firefighter and know if a maltese cross is okay? or have any other generic fire ideas that will be quick and easy ?? icon_cool.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:13am
post #5 of 6

According to Wikipedia, it's not the Maltese Cross but the Cross of Saint Florian (check this link ... scroll down to "similar crosses"): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_cross

(cut-n-pasted portion): "Similar crosses......
Other crosses with spreading limbs are often mistakenly called "Maltese", especially the cross pattée. The Nestorian cross also is very similar to both of these. The cross of Saint Florian, used by firefighters is often confused with the Maltese cross; although it may have eight or more points, it also has large curved arcs between the points."

Kate714 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:18am
post #6 of 6

thanks Indydebi! I guess that's what I meant...the cross of St. Florian icon_confused.gif ...did a google search of that (no picture on Wiki) and it shows the cross that I intended and said it is the universal symbol of firefighters...just what I needed to know I think!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%