Freezing A Cake?

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 11:44am by cylstrial

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone have any good advice on freezing a cake? Does the freezer take moisture out of the cake? (I tried wrapping it in syranwrap and then foiling it). If you do choose to freeze the cake, do you use a moistening syrup? And after the cake defrosts, can you put fondant on it? Or only buttercream. Sorry! Lots of questions.

Thanks!!

9 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 10

I always wrap mine in 3 layers of plastic wrap then put it in 2 ziploc freezer bags.

After you thaw them you can decorate any ol' way you like. I have found that trying to decorate them frozen creates bubbles in my frosting. Although there are several on this board who do it all the time with no problems, so maybe frozen cakes just hate me.

I find that properly wrapped cakes do not have any adverse effects from freezing. I always use a moistening syrup, though, whether it was frozen or not.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 10

I freeze all my cakes. I have found it actually makes them more moist.

I bake the cake, cool it on a rack, wrap it in two layers of saran and two layers of foil. Pop in the freezer. I defrost overnight, still wrapped, in the fridge. Then, I take it out and let sit, wrapped, on the counter for maybe an hour. I will then unwrap it and let sit for a bit longer to get rid of any condensation and bring the cake closer to room temp. I haven't had good luck with frosting frozen cakes either. Still cool is fine, though.

I have covered these cakes in buttercream, fondant, etc. and not used anything on the cake like a syrup. They were fine without it.

cylstrial Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks Tracy! That is great info!! =o)

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 10

i actually prefer to freeze my cakes as i think they get more moist! i double wrap in plastic wrap and freeze (this is for short period of 2 days or so if i was to freeze longer i do a double layer of foil too) then whe i need the cake i defrost overnight leaving wrap on until i need to use it, i then ganache and cover in fondant-don't know how i ever operated without my big upright freezer! I keep all my samples for taste tests like this too or i would be baking everyday just for that!! this way i make up 12" cakes and section and freeze individualy which saves so much time!!

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:21am
post #6 of 10

I also freeze my cakes also. If Im not going to use my cake pan again I wash pan, cool cake, wrap cake in plastic wrap and set back in pan then cover with foil. I dont keep mine frozen over a week. When defrosting, I take out cake, put on cake board and cover with plastic wrap and let thaw over night. In the morning I ice cake as usual and decorate. Mine are alwasy moist too. Sandy

cylstrial Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:58am
post #7 of 10

Thanks Sandy and Adatay! Great advice!

So..I have one more question. I've baked all the cakes and frozen them with the plastic wrap and then foil. And now I have a delimma. I have to drive six hours with the cakes. I've done it before, so that's not the problem.

The cake is for Saturday and we are leaving on Friday. The issue is that I'm not sure when to put the fondant on. Here are my options: I could defrost the cakes Thursday night and then wake up and tort/ice the cakes and then put the fondant on and then drive home. I'd have to decorate in the evening or the next morning.

Or I could take the cakes out of the freezer on Friday morning and let them defrost on the way home. Then I could tort/ice the cakes in the evening and put the fondant on...and then decorate.

So which way would keep the fondant the most fresh? Or does that matter? I prefer to tort my cakes when they are frozen. I'm kinda new at this and I just find it easier.

Thanks for listening to me ramble!
Celeste

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:29am
post #8 of 10

yoondant needs a minimun 12hr period before stacking so that it can turn hard and set if you try to stack before this time the fondant will mark ,move and tear very easily. I always ganache and fondant my cakes one day then stack and decorate the next with preferably a 12 hr period before travel, i have decorated and travelled same day but it is risky as your decorations can move easily etc and you end up having t repair a lot more than you would have if you left it alone for a while.
how do you section a frozen cake out of curiosity? isn;t it rock hard? your cake needs to be 100% defrosted prior to the fondant going on or you run the risk of moisture wrecking your findant.
my best advise woiuld be to complete thge cake 12hrs prior to travel and travel with the cake fully assembled (unless it is a cake sitting on pillars then assemble at venue) I always pre assemble my cakes and stick each tier down with a combo of fondant glue and RI for really high cakes i center dowel for extra support then box it up with some non slip matting place a rolled up towel at the base of my car seat so that the seat is level and then strap the cake box in with the seat belt be sure to go slow around corners and don't brake to hard and you will arive safe and sound! this is how i transport all my cakes hope this very long post helps icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:40am
post #9 of 10

Not sure if this has been said, but I always put cakes wrapped in lots of layers in the freezer as soon as they have cooled to the touch, don't leave it out to long. Also, make sure they are completely defrosted before putting on the fondant or it will sweat.

cylstrial Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 11:44am
post #10 of 10

Thanks Adatay and Cupsncakes! I appreciate all the advice! I think I've got it figured out now!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%