Standup Fondant Flowers

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 4:08pm by xstitcher

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making a 3-tiered fondant cake for a birthday party this weekend. I want to have some fondant flowers that will stand up for the cake topper. I know how to make the flowers...I just don't know how to make them stand up. Will I need to use a Wilton product I will need to use, etc. If so, what ? Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Celeste

10 replies
liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 11

Not sure what you mean by "stand up". Like as you want them stiff? If that is it, use gumpaste....half and half with the fondant. HTH

cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 11

Sorry - I mean I want the flower to stand up as if it were in a garden. So I need to find a way to make a green stem (type of thing) come out of the cake with the flower on the top. I'm not sure how to make the flower stand. Do I use green fondant? Or can I buy stems somewhere? I hope this makes more sense.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 11

You can get florist wire and attach it to the underside of the fondant flower using royal icing or candy melts. Candy melts work great if you are in a hurry. Otherwise, you would have to make the flower on the wire, which for fondant, I am not sure will be very supportive as fondant never really "hardens"

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 11

Gelatin paste/fondant would dry rock hard and could be used for the stems - it may be a bit brittle tho depends how thin you wanted your stems to be.
HTH

cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks SharonK! That sounds great! I'll give it a try for sure!!

cylstrial Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks Marsmum! I was thinking about using fondant for the stems myself. I will see if I can get it to work!

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:05am
post #8 of 11

You might be able to cover bamboo skewers with green floral tape. You didn't say what kind of flowers you are making. If they are roses just make them on the skewers.

Jo

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:19am
post #9 of 11

How about toothpicks?

cylstrial Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:29pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks Xstickher and JolmK. I appreciate all the advice I can get!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 11

Your welcome! Anytime!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%