Opinions Please!!

Decorating By onemissa Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm by cakediva01

onemissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onemissa Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 5

I am planning on making my very first topsy turvey cake and I am alittle nervous about the design and I could really use some opinions. It is for an 8 year old girl's birthday so it will be fun and colorful. The bottom tier is going to be lime green with 3D flowers in pink, blue, yellow and purple. The middle tier is going to be pink with different color polka dots and the top tier is going to be purple with spirals used by an impression mat. There are also going to be beads on jewelry wire coming out of the top. Does that sound ok? Is it okay to have every tier a different theme or will it look stupid? TIA for the help.

4 replies
armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 5

I would just make sure that your colors don't clash. Otherwise, sounds good to me. You said pink, blue, yellow and purple....are they pastels or brights? Try getting some colored paper in the colors you are thinking and make sure that you like them next to each other. Never know...you may find that you need to drop a color or make a darker shade, etc. Also, try drawing your design on paper and coloring the way you plan to decorate. It will not only help in confirming your design, but allow you to have a better visual to work from. HTH

Teresa

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 5

I like different colored tiers and different designs on each tier for a topsy turvy cake. It adds to the whimsical nature of it. Good luck. I made my first topsy turvy last weekend--give yourself plenty of time!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 5

I was thinking that the flowers and the dots tiers may look similar - other than that I think you design and colors sound fun. Good Luck!

cakediva01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva01 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 5

[quote="armywifebryan"]I would just make sure that your colors don't clash. Otherwise, sounds good to me. You said pink, blue, yellow and purple....are they pastels or brights? Try getting some colored paper in the colors you are thinking and make sure that you like them next to each other. Never know...you may find that you need to drop a color or make a darker shade, etc. Also, try drawing your design on paper and coloring the way you plan to decorate. It will not only help in confirming your design, but allow you to have a better visual to work from. HTH

I agree with armywife about putting some colored paper together. Another suggestion (especially using bright colors) is putting paint samples together from your home store. They are also handy when dying your icing to obtain true colors. Good luck and take your time. You'll need it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%