Orange Buttercream Icing

Baking By morgan051002 Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 6:28pm by morgan051002

morgan051002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgan051002 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have a good recipe for Orange Buttercream? Thanks!

8 replies
Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 9

I don't have an exact recipe but you could try replacing some of the liquid with OJ and adding some orange zest.

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 9

Hi,
I do lemon and orange BC the same way - 4oz butter, 12 oz icing sugar......mix then together til the icing sugar starts to change colour then add finely grated skin of orange (or lemon) and about 2 tbs of the squeezed juice. and voila!!
Only problem you might have is if you want to pipe with it, then i'd leave out the grated skinotherwise it clogs your nozzles!
HTH
Jenny

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 9

Yeah, maybe fresh squeezed juice and zest. If you need more flavor, add a little orange extract. If you're feeling really adventurous, you could make some orange curd and then add that in to the buttercream.

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 9

I use 100% pure oj and a little orange extract. You may have to add some extra powder sugar or shortening ( depending on sweet you like it). If you don't really care about the sweet factor then you can use any kind of oj. It will give your bc a yellow color, so if you want white then use just the extract. HTH

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 9

I just use McCormicks orange extract. If you want corresponding color, add a few drops of orange food color.

pinkbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbiz Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 9

i really like doing my regular buttercream recipe which is the
2lbs of conf. sugar
1 cup of butter
1 cup of shortning
6 tbls of water
and then i add the orange extract ( 1tsp)
it is soooooo good!!!

tnt320to Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnt320to Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 9

Hi! I use my regular buttercream recipie with the addition of a few drops of pure orange oil (or lemon or whatever you want!). I find I kind of have to add a little at a time to get it just right. It is very easy to go overboard. I got my orange oil at Williams Sonoma. You can find lemon and maybe orange too at the craft store in the candy making section. Lorann oils are sold there in very small quantities. Good luck!

morgan051002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgan051002 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone! It sounds like it is going to be really easy. I will let you know how it turns out!

Karin

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%