Help!

Decorating By Deb_ Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 1:18am by Shanille21

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 11

I am making chocolate dipped "tuxedo" style strawberries for a jack and jill shower cake this week. What is the best type of chocolate to use, so that it will harden on the berries? Also, any idea how many days they will hold up once I dip them and should I refrigerate them until needed?

10 replies
jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 11

I'd use the merkens (spelling). That would work great. It won't harden the berries. Also, you can keep them in the fridge with no problem. HTH!

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 11

You could do a couple of different things for your berries. One is to use Almond Bark coating to dip them. This is the least expensive route, but the coating sets up very well. If you use real chocolate, add a small amount of Gulf Wax to the chocolate when you melt it, it will help the chocolate to set up and stay firm and shiny on the berry.

I would not make the berries more than the night before, because they tend to macerate in the chocolate (like a chocolate covered cherry will do) and will begin to weep strawberry juice. I would also keep them refrigerated until service. HTH!

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 11

I am also so new at this but ill give you what i think.

I personally dont like the wilton chocolate. I think that the merkins(sp) is preatty goo. I usually dont have a problem with too much melting whle on the strawberries.

I wouldnt refridge them after they have been dipped. They will sweat and start to leak some.

i would try and dip them the night before.....you definatly want them to be as fresh as possible.

I also see your in MA...what part? I am outside Providence RI. We are neighbors icon_smile.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 11

I agree, Merckens is the best for that. It hardens really quick. I wouldn't do them too far in advance though. I made them for a party a little while ago, twice actually. I dipped them the night before and refrigerated right away and they were fine, they may sweat when you first take them out but they'll dry. Strawberries, at the least the ones in my area, go bad really quick. I usually only have a day or two at most before they start to go bad so I purchase and dip them no sooner than they night before.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 11

For what it's worth, I'd use a better tasting chocolate. Merckens, Peters, and some of the other decorating chocolates ("chocolate coating") taste chalky and waxy to me. I'd use a good quality chocolate and temper it so that it retains its shiny gloss. However, I don't know what you've quoted for a price. Merckens and Peters are much cheaper than a Valrhona, Ghirardelli or Callebaut.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you everyone....you've been a big help!
Can I find the Merkens (spelling?) at the market or Michael's crafts type store?

Shanille, I live in Seekonk, MA...we are neighbors!!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:58pm
post #8 of 11

I know you will only find Wilton candy melts at Michael's. Here in Canada we have a bulk food store that sells Merckensas well.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:59pm
post #9 of 11

I asked at Michael's the other day about Merkens (sp?) and was told "We only carry the delicious Wilton brand of chocolate melts!". I don't know if the girl was being sarcastic or not so I just said "Oh, well thanks anyways.".

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #10 of 11

I've used Baker's white chocolate many times mixed with a tiny bit of Gulf wax for shine. It hold up beautifully and you should be able to find it in the bakery isle at your grocery store.

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:18am
post #11 of 11

dkelley- you can get merkens at diannes sweet tooth in Lincoln. she hsa tons of stuff fro chocolate making and there is a palce called JAR in Lincoln too thats great for cake supplies. they sell stuff you cant get at michaels like better chcolate and fondant.

I grew up in seekonk. i just pm'd you. how funny is that!!

~Shannon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%