Which Gumpaste Mix Or Ready To Use?

Decorating By sugarcheryl Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 1:38am by sugarcheryl

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 13

I was wondering which gumpaste mix do you prefer? Make your own or buy already made? and which brand?

12 replies
lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 13

Nick Lodge's recipe if I'm going to make it or his readymade if not. I'm currently testing Marcela Sanchez' ready made but it is really expensive. Satin Ice does not harden well for me. (I also like Wilton's ready made and I can buy it locally.) icon_smile.gif

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 13

I tried the Wiltons mix, didn't care for it. Right now I make my own from one of the recipes here. Nicholas Lodges gumpaste gets rave reviews from most people. I am going to try it as soon as my Tylose powder comes in.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 13

I use the Wilton Gum paste mix more often than the ready-to-use, I like the texture better of the mix. It also doesn't dry out as quick while it is stored.

I haven't used any other brand but Wilton.HTH

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 13

if i make it ... i make nicholas lodge recipe... it is on his site... if i buy premade... it is wilton brand... it is really nice.. satin ice brand is too soft for me.. but again there are others that like it... that is ok too... we all are different and we like different things... hth

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 13

When I took the gumpaste class we learned how to make our own, but I buy Wiltons pre-made. It works well for me I only use it for bows and flowers, things that won't be eaten. It costs about $7.00-$8.00 here in the Macon area. (coupons for Michaels or Hobby Lobby are a big help) I will be making some gerbera daisies and roses this week for a wedding next weekend.

Jibbies

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 12:09am
post #7 of 13

I've used both Wilton and Satin Ice ready-to-use. I have been happy with them both.

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:07am
post #8 of 13

I have used wilton, satin ice, and bakel's (sp?) ready made, I like them all. Wilton dries fast compared to the other two, and is more expensive. I just bought some CK mix but haven't tried it yet. The bakel's runs 2.25 for a 1 lb. package.

Jo

sugarcheryl Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:08am
post #9 of 13

Thanks everyone for your input. I use Wilton and I've made my own also. I was just wondering. icon_smile.gif

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 13

Can any one tell me is gum paste (wilton mix) edible? I mixed it with MMF and want to know if I need to tell people not to eat it!?

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 13

I just bought the wilton gumpaste mix... how much powered sugar do you use after mixing.. you know when your kneading it... Is the gumpast suppose to be sticky? or is the consistency suppose to be like fondant?

Sorry for snagging your post..

TIA, Charleen

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:41pm
post #12 of 13

You can eat gumpaste but it's hard and rather tasteless. And if you put wires in it It's definately NOT edible.

sugarcheryl Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:38am
post #13 of 13

It is sticky at first you just have to work the powered sugar in and will become unsticky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%