Dry Out Licorice????

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm by DuncanHinesgirl

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 7

Is there a way to dry out rope licorice quickly?? I need to use it for the ropes on a wrestling ring cake. It's the pull apart kind and I did pull it apart so it's all the individual ropes. I've laid them out flat on parchment paper and it just seems like it's taking a while. Can anyone think of anything that I could speed this process along with?? Thank you!

6 replies
DuncanHinesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuncanHinesgirl Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 7

I opened a bag of licorice Twizzlers last night at the drive-in and it sat out all night exposed to air and is still pliable. Darn those pesky preservatives!

My only thought is to dry them in a food dehydrator (if you have access to one) or a low temperature oven.

Where's stale, years old licorice when you need it? I always get that sort of bag when I'm interested in eating it and not decorating with it.

Good luck, I'm sure your cake will turn out great! Post pictures in CC gallery if you get a chance.

Marie

Michelle104 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 7

Marie! If I tried the low temp oven what temp would I use?? Any suggestions? You are sooo right about the preservatives! Reminds me of the french fries on the Mc Donald's documentary!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

DuncanHinesgirl Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 7

My Kenmore oven has a "warm" setting at 180 degrees. I'd probably do that or 200 degrees. I would not want to go too high for fear of it not drying, but melting.

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

Michelle104 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks! I'll let ya know how it goes!! icon_smile.gif

Michelle104 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 7

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Marie!!!

It worked!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I put my oven on warm, which is 170, put the licorice on parchment in a cake pan and put it in there. I'm not really sure how long it was in there....I kind of forgot about it! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_razz.gif About an hour and a half I think, maybe 2. When I took the pan out I just set it on the table and walked away. The licorice was pretty warm and bendy. I just went back and checked it out of curiousity and it's stiff!!! thumbs_up.gif I don't need to put it on the cake until later tonight so hopefully the longer it sits, the harder it will get. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Sorry so long, I'm just so excited!!

DuncanHinesgirl Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 7

I'm so glad it worked!!!! Now I know what to do in the future when I need some sort of decoration dried out fast.

icon_biggrin.gif

I love that about CC. All the experience being shared!

Have fun finishing your cake!!! Be sure to post pics.

Marie icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%