Satin Ribbon Vs. The Cake!!

Decorating By stojmenov Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm by Tellis12

stojmenov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stojmenov Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 11

I want to put a satin ribbon around a cake and I know it's easy enough to do... but how do I do this without it getting a "grease" stain?!??!

10 replies
JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 11

Well, I've wondered about this too. I bet that you have to line the inside of the ribbon with something. I'd guess that you can use wax paper and just cut it down to the width of your ribbon???? Now, that's just a guess....LOL!!! Someone else will be along and they will let us know what they do.....there's probably an easier way.... thumbs_up.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 11

You can do exactly as the pp suggested with the wax paper, but I've never done it that way. I have heard of sticking tape to the back side of the ribbon too, but I haven't done it that way either.

For the cake I did not to long ago, I just wrapped the ribbon around it and it was fine. No grease soaked through and if it did, it was evenly soaked and you couldn't tell icon_lol.gif.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 11

This has been a long debated subject... satin ribbon will spot on BC.
I have used waxepaper to back it clear pkg tape or if neither are an option I have sprayed it with cooking oil but this changes the color to a darker shade. I personally like to oil the ribbon it just takes less time to spray it and blot dry with a papertowel.
This is a always a huge thread for debate so I'm sure you will have many sugestions from peple who have more experience then me.
Just my opinion....good luck icon_smile.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 11

This thread was just on here yesterday or the day before. It should be helpful icon_smile.gif
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-599255.html

panipuri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panipuri Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 11

I have also used poly propele ribbon ( also known as poly ribbon) and it is waterproof and grease proof.
I normally get it at papermart.com
However color choices might be limited and then I iron wax paper onto the ribbon back on low setting.
Elaine

panipuri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panipuri Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 11

I have also used poly propele ribbon ( also known as poly ribbon) and it is waterproof and grease proof.
I normally get it at papermart.com
However color choices might be limited and then I iron wax paper onto the ribbon back on low setting.
Elaine

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 11

If you use a crusting BC, and let it crust well before adding the ribbon, you should be ok. Since the icing isn't "wet", there is no "wet" to soak into the ribbon.

I try to avoid Satin ribbon, though, because I find it to be very sensitive to wet spots.

Maire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maire Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 11

I've used ribbons on cakes before & not put anything on the back. I do wait until the icing is crusted.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 11

I've let the icing crust and put the ribbon on and used a little dot of BC and then covered that part with flowers used on the cake.

The last cake I did however, I took the ribbon and smeared shortening all over it, wiped off residue and it went on like a dream. In fact, it was a lot easier to do it that way.

The only thing you might want to consider is the color being a little deeper once you smear it with shortening. Mine did just the teeniest bit but it was still a perfect match to the sugar flower frangipani I used.

I don't know how to post a pic but if anyone wants one, pm me.

Kris

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm
post #11 of 11

I wait until my icing is crusted over really well, then when I add my ribbon, I fold over the end a little bit before I put a dot of bc on it to stick it together. This gives it a nicer finish and you don't see the bc if it spots on the end of the ribbon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%