Help - Novice Wants To Make A "bichon" Cake

Decorating By Bellasmomma Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm by sadiepix

Bellasmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellasmomma Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone! icon_biggrin.gif I'm new to this site and am looking for detailed instructions on how to make a bichon cake! This will be my 1st try at making a theme decorated cake! Can anyone help me ASAP! (party is on Sunday the 17th)

13 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 14

Here is a thread from yesterday about dog cake tutorials. HTH
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-599316.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 14

sadie, glad you were able to help out, because I had no idea what kind of cake she was referring to! icon_lol.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:37am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

sadie, glad you were able to help out, because I had no idea what kind of cake she was referring to! icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You and me both Debi!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bellasmomma Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks guys! The one on you-tube was AWESOME, but way more work than I want to do! icon_lol.gif The other one was GREAT too and I think doable! I'm going to try it - any other suggestions? Remeber, I'm a BEGINNER! icon_lol.gif

Bellasmomma Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 14

Oh and what does it mean to crumb coat? Thanks!

sadiepix Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 14

icon_biggrin.gif
My family ran a dog-based business for years...I can list 100 breeds without even thinking! icon_wink.gif

When I was a beginner (and concerning real decorating compared to many of these folks, I still am!!!) I would just kinda free-hand stuff.

Have you done a search in the pics for "dog" ?
That will bring up a ton of pics and maybe a few of those will inspire you or give ideas, or you can PM the person who made them for tips.

Crumb coating is spreading on a thin layer of buttercream to seal in the crumb on the cake to make spreading the rest of the icing easier, as you don't have to worry about crumbs or pieces of the cake pulling away from the sides and mixing with the pretty icing. Really important on a carved cake as more of the inside is showing and more likely to be 'crumby'.
Also, it will be like the glue for your fur-like icing, so it will stick better than trying to get strands etc. to stick to the cake itself.

HTH

xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 14

Hi Bellasmomma!!

When you crumb coat you also want to let it set for a while. I usually let it set overnight. I'm sure there's lots of links on CC but my link is kinda slow today so here is one that I just googled:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/cake_decorating/63725

HTH!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Bellasmomma Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:19pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you EVERYONE! icon_biggrin.gif I am going to give it a try today! Wish me luck!

Bellasmomma Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:22pm
post #10 of 14

I found a cake at this web address which I think is a Perfect Bichon! I know I won't be able to get mine to look like that, but it is inspiring!

www.pearlgrrl.com (click on Bichon Cake)

I'm thinking of putting a cupcake on the rear and covering it with coconut to make it look fluffy! What do you think?

xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellasmomma

I found a cake at this web address which I think is a Perfect Bichon! I know I won't be able to get mine to look like that, but it is inspiring!

www.pearlgrrl.com (click on Bichon Cake)

I'm thinking of putting a cupcake on the rear and covering it with coconut to make it look fluffy! What do you think?

The cake looks great and I think that's a great idea with the cupcake and the coconut!

Good Luck!

Bellasmomma Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:09pm
post #12 of 14

Thank you everyone for your help! thumbs_up.gif I made the cake & I think it turned out GREAT for my 1st decorated cake! You guys rock!

You can see it in Cake Gallery under animals. I TRIED to attach it here but got the message "must be less than 800 pixels wide & high"!

Joan

xstitcher Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 14

Hi Joan,

I just looked at your cake in your photos and I think you did a fantastic job! You did a great job making it look like the inspiration cake on that website but at the same time you made it your own! Great job, I'm looking forward to seeing many more great cakes from you! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

sadiepix Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm
post #14 of 14

Really good job! Love the look of the coconut as the fur.
I am jealous if that is your first theme cake! icon_biggrin.gif
Glad it worked out for you so well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%