Question About Stacking Cakes

Business By kathy777 Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 4:24pm by wjmonte

kathy777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy777 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:49am
post #1 of 6

Ok my question is this.. when you stack a tiered wedding cake i know that you put the rods in the middles of the cake so the cake is supported on top of each other. But heres the problem when i do that and i clip the wooden dowels to be right with the cake and i put the second layer on its lifted a little from the cake which means you can see the cake board underneath it.. How do you make it so it just lays on the cake so there is no gap? any suggestions i would greatly appreciate..kathy

5 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 6

I think that you just need to clip your dowels a little bit further down from where you're already doing it. does that make sense? they might be sticking up enough to have a gap when you put the next layer on. hth icon_smile.gif

kathy777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy777 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:21am
post #3 of 6

ohh maby i will definatly try that thanks so much!!

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:37am
post #4 of 6

The dowels should be a tiny bit below the surface. About a 16th of an inch or so. Just clip them down a you will be good to go!
Jen...

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 6

Here's anther tip. cut all your dowels the same length. I put the long dowel in the middle, mark it just touching the top of the final coat of icing or fondant and then I cut it on the cake side of the mark, then I cut the rest the same length as the first, that way it insures that the next tier sits level on the tier under it. I stack my cakes after I get them to the venue and then add the bottom borders whatever they happen to be. Hope this helps.

Jibbies

wjmonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjmonte Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 6

have you bought sharon zambito's successful stacking dvd yet??? (sugaredproductions) if not go check it out she teaches you everything you need to stack a wedding or whatever cake. and even one of the main focuses is how to stack and not see the boards her cake doenst even need borders!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%