Is Agbay Really Worth The $?

Decorating By biancas_mommy Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 4:38pm by VannaD

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:08am
post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by biancas_mommy

but when i saw somebody's reply that their christmas list included a kitchenaid (that was my christmas gift last year!) i suddenly remembered that i could get a pasta roller attachment for mine to use with fondant...i always see these beautiful lace patterns pressed into fondant and the artist always says it was done in a pasta maker. and if i get the pasta cutter could i use it to cut uniform fondant ribbons?

i know i started the whole thread about agbay but now i wonder if any of you use pasta makers with fondant?

hmmm, so many toys to choose from!

I have the pasta attachment for my KA and used it once for that. I couldn't get the darn thing clean enough to use with a different color, even after 20 minutes of cleaning with everything from a Q-tip to a BBQ skewer, so it's for pasta only...sad for me, lucky for my half-Italian hubby, if I ever get that wheat flour of the cabinet and make him some pasta! icon_smile.gif

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:18am
post #32 of 51

Let's just say. If ever there was a fire, I would grab my Agbay & run. Need I say more?

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:02am
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpy

Let's just say. If ever there was a fire, I would grab my Agbay & run. Need I say more?

LOL!!

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:29am
post #34 of 51
Quote:

Hahahahahahahaha!!! icon_lol.gif

You grab the baby Honey! I'll get the Agbay!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:59pm
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Quote:

but when i saw somebody's reply that their christmas list included a kitchenaid (that was my christmas gift last year!) i suddenly remembered that i could get a pasta roller attachment for mine to use with fondant...i always see these beautiful lace patterns pressed into fondant and the artist always says it was done in a pasta maker. and if i get the pasta cutter could i use it to cut uniform fondant ribbons?

i know i started the whole thread about agbay but now i wonder if any of you use pasta makers with fondant?

hmmm, so many toys to choose from!

I have the pasta attachment for my KA and used it once for that. I couldn't get the darn thing clean enough to use with a different color, even after 20 minutes of cleaning with everything from a Q-tip to a BBQ skewer, so it's for pasta only...sad for me, lucky for my half-Italian hubby, if I ever get that wheat flour of the cabinet and make him some pasta! icon_smile.gif

I know this is off topic, But I cleaned mine by running a strip of wet paper towel through it a few times. It worked great! It got off all the sticky red fondant on the inside.

staceyboots Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:42pm
post #36 of 51

ok...i am definitely buying an Agbay before the end of the week. Could those who own an Agbay tell me which model do you own? Deluxe or Standard?

TIA

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:46pm
post #37 of 51
Quote:

when i saw somebody's reply that their christmas list included a kitchenaid (that was my christmas gift last year!) i suddenly remembered that i could get a pasta roller attachment for mine to use with fondant...i always see these beautiful lace patterns pressed into fondant and the artist always says it was done in a pasta maker. and if i get the pasta cutter could i use it to cut uniform fondant ribbons?

Until just recently I thought setting up the pasta machine was a pain - but I've used it the last few weeks for fondant drapes and ribbons, and candy clay for cookies. It works wonderfully and makes everything perfectly uniform. I'll keep using it! Got mine off eBay for a decent price.

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:51pm
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I know this is off topic, But I cleaned mine by running a strip of wet paper towel through it a few times. It worked great! It got off all the sticky red fondant on the inside.

summernoelle...does this mean you do use it for fondant, and you like it?

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:55pm
post #39 of 51

thanks snowshoe1! now i'm stuck trying to decide between the agbay and the pasta roller. icon_smile.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #40 of 51

I've decided to ask for an agbay for my birhday this year. Luckily I have a husband too who just gets what I ask, but I'm the cheapskate and never ask for much.

I have a KA pasta attachment, but I don't use it for fondant. My manual pasta machine I use all the time for fondant, it works great!

snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #41 of 51
Quote:

thanks snowshoe1! now i'm stuck trying to decide between the agbay and the pasta roller. icon_smile.gif

Agbay!!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:42pm
post #42 of 51
Quote:

HAHA icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

No, you don't need to say more, I just about spit out my coffee. thumbs_up.gif

So, you are recommending it? icon_wink.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:56pm
post #43 of 51

What does the deluze offer for the extra $100? I think there are two blades so is that so you can level and torte at one time? Do you bake to the top and leave the settings so you don't have to adjust each time you use it?

Also, if you are using the SPS, what does everyone do to get their cakes to the exact 4" height? I am having a heck of a time since all my pans are 2" and if use both cakes (4 layers) it's too high but if I use 3 layers of cake, it's too low? Thanks

I think I know what I want for Christmas too.....my DH keeps going on and on about getting a second KA and I don't know why. Our kitchen is the size of a shoebox and I don't NEED another KA. I swear, I think he wants one for himself.

P.S. The most frustrating thing about the Wilton is that after you are done trying to get the darn thing to work, you are so irritated that you want to kill something and it won't even work as a weapon or anything!! icon_smile.gif Totally waste of $20.......... and a couple mangled cakes too.

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #44 of 51

Okay, I finally gulped and bought the Agbay and LOVE IT!! But I use it several times a week.

I saw a tip on here a little while ago (sorry, I don't know who) had a fabulous idea I wish I would've thought of.

This person (if it's you - speak up so we can give credit) fills her pans full enough that they dome up over the top. Removes them from the pan and cools them on the flat side. Puts the cake back into the pan to cut exactly 2". Then removes the cake from the pan again and inserts a 1" styrofoam dummy the size of the pan. Puts the cake back in the pan and cuts again. Perfect 1" height!

Again, if you bake very often - go for the Agbay. You'll NEVER regret it.

snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 8:03pm
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

The most frustrating thing about the Wilton is that after you are done trying to get the darn thing to work, you are so irritated that you want to kill something and it won't even work as a weapon or anything!!

Too funny! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

staceyboots Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 8:08pm
post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

What does the deluze offer for the extra $100? I think there are two blades so is that so you can level and torte at one time? Do you bake to the top and leave the settings so you don't have to adjust each time you use it?

i also think that this is one of the advantages of the deluxe model. since i bake 2 cakes and tort each cake into 2 for a 4-layer cake, i only have to set my blades once at 1" and 2" for uniform cake-heights each and every time.

Cherie206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherie206 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:03pm
post #47 of 51

Hello All, I am a newbie to CakeCentral.com and I don't mean to sound really dumb....but what is Agbay and where do you get it? I use my Wilton cake leveler (the large one) and I really like it. Is there something wrong with me? icon_smile.gif

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:47pm
post #48 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie206

Hello All, I am a newbie to CakeCentral.com and I don't mean to sound really dumb....but what is Agbay and where do you get it? I use my Wilton cake leveler (the large one) and I really like it. Is there something wrong with me? icon_smile.gif

Yes! Nah, I'm kidding...seriously the Agbay is the Cadillac of the Cake Leveler World! The Agbay is a heavy duty steel cutter with seriously SHARP blades that cuts through a cake like butter! I love mine! I have the deluxe model since I prefer to torte and level at the same time, but that's my preference...the single blade is just as good. Here's there website: http://www.agbayproducts.com/

Very sweet people...fast shipping...excellent product! Love it!

Cherie206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherie206 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:08pm
post #49 of 51

Thank you - I feel enlightened now!! Although I will say that my Wilton (large) one has never failed me. I have not however used it to cut cakes with fruit or nuts.

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:27pm
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by marccrand

Okay, I finally gulped and bought the Agbay and LOVE IT!! But I use it several times a week.

I saw a tip on here a little while ago (sorry, I don't know who) had a fabulous idea I wish I would've thought of.

This person (if it's you - speak up so we can give credit) fills her pans full enough that they dome up over the top. Removes them from the pan and cools them on the flat side. Puts the cake back into the pan to cut exactly 2". Then removes the cake from the pan again and inserts a 1" styrofoam dummy the size of the pan. Puts the cake back in the pan and cuts again. Perfect 1" height!

Again, if you bake very often - go for the Agbay. You'll NEVER regret it.

I have the 1 blade Agbay and LOVE it. But I always want my cake layers less than an inch (which is the lowest level on the Agbay) and so I do something similar to the above poster's idea.

I put a piece of that rubbery non-slip material on the work bench and set a 3" cake pan on it, upside down. I place my cake on top of it and then run the agbay through it. Works like a charm. (Maybe there's another way to accomplish this and I just didn't know about it?)

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:38pm
post #51 of 51

Ive got the standard agbay, bought it in June. Ive actually only done 1 cake since i bought it, but just doing that one cake made me see it was well worth the $$, I love it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%