Color Flow

Decorating By turtlemom_9500 Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm by bobhope

turtlemom_9500 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 9

Is a color flow transfer the same as a frozen buttercream transfer?

8 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 9

Colorflow is a technique where you use thinned-down royal icing to fill in areas of a design (you normally would first pipe an outline). You can use it for designs for your cake, do it on a cookie, etc...

Here is an example of a colorflow piece on a cake (note: not my cake):

turtlemom_9500 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 9

but do you turn it over like the buttercream transfere??

tracey1970 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #4 of 9

No - when you make a color fow design, you make it with the "right" side facing up, the "wrong" side is down on the waxed paper. A FBCT, you make with the "right" side down, and you flip it over and onto the cake. Also, once thawed, a FBCT can be sliced like regular buttercream. A color flow piece dries hard and would crack if you tried to cut it with a knife. Color flow will soften and break down after a day or so of sitting on buttercream but still won't cut nicely with a knife. I have many color flow pieces in my photos. I like them for detail (I find I can get better detail from them than a FBCT sometimes) and for being able to do a "stand up" design in buttercream.

bobhope Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:43am
post #5 of 9

snowshoe1,tracey1970 thanks for sharing your pretty cake pix on color flow & for explaining how color flow is used. i've seen it here at our local supply shop & i'm afraid to give it a try as i've no idea how to use it beside it being a bit pricey..thanks turtlemom for this post, i'm learning something new everyday icon_smile.gif


tracey1970 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 9

Give it a try - but remember that color flow dries VERY quickly. So you must keep bowls of prepared olor flow tightly covered, and when I am working on a color flow design, I always keep a damp tea towel handy because whenever you set your piping bag down, you should insert the tip into the damp towel to keep the color flow from drying out.

snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 9

Also, keep a damp paintbrush handy. Works wonders for moving the colorflow into little areas. There are different techniques, but I first pipe the outline with a #1 tip with stiffer RI, then put the colorflow into a parchment bag (usually will make a few bags and wrap in plastic wrap), snip off a tiny portion of the bag, and start apply the colorflow closest to the outline and work my way inward.

Dry it under a lamp and you'll find the shine comes out very nicely!

Have fun!

PinkZiab Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 9

beside it being a bit pricey

Remember, Wilton is in the business of selling products. Colorflow is their own creation, and if its not in your budget then don't sweat it. You can do the exact same thing with thinned royal icing (this is what professionals use). Royal does need a day or two (or more if it's humid) to dry all the way through, especially if it's a large piece (I have no idea how color flow is in this aspect).

bobhope Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 9

ok.noted.thanks again icon_biggrin.gif


Quote by @%username% on %date%