My Kids Ate My Shoes

Decorating By lizziegirl Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 3:22am by ColeAlayne

lizziegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizziegirl Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 7

I have two 3 year olds, one is my foster son the other one is my adopted son. I'm entering the cake contest at my local fair, I will be entering a baby shower cake. Fiday night I spent hours making bibs, shoes, pacifier, hats and a baby rattle. Saturday morning I woke up and the only thing left was the rattle's head, it must have been too hard to eat. I have to start all over again and the cake is due on the 20th. The shoes were so hard because I make crocks without a pattern. They had never done this before, now they know its edible and sweet, I have to find a place to hide them!

6 replies
ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 7

Oh my! Where did you leave the items? Maybe you are going to have to keep them up high from now on...possibly on top of the refrigerator. What were they made out of?

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 7

Your kids eat your shoes, my husband eats my elmo eyeballs..ARGH!!! Soo no matter what age, we have to keep our goodies hidden icon_lol.gif

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 7

lol. sorry! but yeah, i feel your pain, i have a 2-year-old. she is VERY well-trained in staying away from the cake stuff! my husband jokes that the poor kid spends the entire day in time-out when i'm doing a cake...and it's probably true that she was for awhile. i had to be super diligent about it, every time she put even one finger on my "cake table" she went straight to time-out for 2 minutes (after the 2 minutes i always give her a big hug and kiss and tell her i love her, i'm not like a psycho disciplinarian!). but now she knows to look but never touch and she very rarely has to told not to touch. she does like to stand on a chair and watch my every move and beg for bites (which i give her now and then) but when you ask her "are you going to touch the cake?" she says very solemnly, "noooooo."

so anyway, my point is that i'd rather take the opportunity to teach a lesson and teach her to control herself rather than trying to hide everything from her. don't get me wrong, i still put the finished products where they're less likely to be a temptation! i mean, kids are still kids and they can only handle so much. but mostly i try to make everything a "learning experience" and then trust her. icon_smile.gif i'm sure your boys will learn to resist, and in the meantime, find a high place to put your creations! good luck!!

lizziegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizziegirl Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 7

I had them on my cake table. I always leave them there and they never touch. They know that after that a cake will follow and I will give them what I cut of from the cake and add frosting to it. I asked why they touched and they said they were hungry. Anyways now it's just a funny story but I do have to hurry up and make more

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 7

Oh My - that is so funny and totally NOT funny at the same time!!

My 2 year old spends most days in time out when I'm baking too. But, only because she never wants any attention from me until I'm baking and then its mama, mama, mama, mama, mama, mama, mama.......followed by temper tantrums!

I think it takes me about 2 days longer to decorate a cake just because i keep having to stop and "play".

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:22am
post #7 of 7

Thankfully my daughter is only 1 so she still takes a 2 hour nap during the day. I get as much done as I can and then my husband takes her out on a walk when I need to keep working.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%