I Made My First Cookie Cutter!

Decorating By umabdurrahman Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm by umabdurrahman

umabdurrahman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umabdurrahman Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:07am
post #1 of 12

i made the first one!! i'm so happy , i need a lot of practice but i needed a sun for a "get well soon" cookie bouquet. any advice is more than welcome. it was free hand with only pliers. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
LL

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:16am
post #2 of 12

That's really nice!

I'm kind of accident prone and I think if I tried making cookie cutters, I'd slice my hands to ribbons. Is it hard to do? (maybe I'll make DH do it for me, he's not as accident-prone)

umabdurrahman Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:36am
post #3 of 12

the edges are sharp-ish but i didn't need to put any pressure on them. i did round off the corners on the ends before i stuck them together, i was afraid of my small kids (or even me lol) maybe getting cut when they make cookies.

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 10:46am
post #4 of 12

Very nice! I've made a few - but much simpler designs than yours - a big spider web, a prescription bottle, wedding cake, cloud, withch's hat, etc... I made them BIG - 5" bc I think it takes such a long time for me to decorate a cookie the way I like that it would take DAYS to finish little ones...so I'm going for the big BANG w theses!

What did you use to sea the ends together? I had some trouble w that...

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:14am
post #5 of 12

You did a great job making the sun. I am interested in making cookie cutters. What material did you use and how do you fasten the ends together? Thanks for posting.

umabdurrahman Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 11:54am
post #6 of 12

i used a double stick tape that is REALLY thin like saran wrap thin. i think it will be good. i thought about soldering it but the tape seems great so i guess i'll keep the tape icon_smile.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 12

Wow! Great work - what do you use to make the cutter? Is it something from the hardware store or is there kit online? Thanks for any info.

umabdurrahman Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 12

i bought the refill for the "make your own cookie cutter" kit. since i already have the tools. but i'm going to take some of the metal ribbon to a local tinsmith to see if they have it.
thank you guys for your encouragement icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 12

Go to home depot and ask for metal flashing in the width that you want.

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 12

Wow, that looks great! and so complex!

Ever since I saw the tutorial on here to make my own I've wanted to try it, but I haven't needed to as yet so I keep putting it off. And the soldering scared me. I sure like the idea of double-sided tape a lot better! Hopefully when I do make one it will turn out as well as yours.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 12

Did you round the top edge of the cutter, the part that you push on to cut the cookie?

umabdurrahman Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #12 of 12

no i didn't round it, i wanted to but didn't know how. i thought about using that coating that is used for extra grip on tools, its a liquid u dip it in. i guess its ok like it is but if the kids help i'll put a cardboard piece over it so they can push it safely just in case icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%