Gingerbread Cookie Recipe

Baking By smileyface Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 11:29am by grami948

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have a good gingerbread cookies recipe? I made the ones from Kitchengifts.com and didn't like it at all. My husband who usually eats all of my baking even turned them down. Maybe we just don't like gingerbread cookies. They were for my son's class and he said only 3 or 4 kids liked them. Maybe I did something wrong with the recipe, who knows? icon_cry.gif

3 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 10:42am
post #2 of 4

This is my Mom's family recipe that I grew up on...

2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup light molasses
2 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger
5 cups flour for BOTH the dough and rolling out! (strange, but this is the way the recipe came down to us)

Cream butter, stir in sugar, molasses and eggs. Stir in baking powder, baking soda and ginger. BY HAND, stir in enough flour to make a thickened dough. Knead with hands until a smooth ball of dough forms.

Roll out on a floured surface to a 1/4th inch thickness and cut out men. Life onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes.

Makes 12 giant gingerbreadmen or
24 regular.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 10:43am
post #3 of 4

oops... life onto a greased sheet= LIFT!

It's not even 7 am and I'm such an addict that I"m on CC already and I'm not a morning person... Sorry for the typo!

grami948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grami948 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 11:29am
post #4 of 4

Found this on www.recipezaar.com & the family thinks they are the best. Nice reminder that when fall comes, I'll have to make some!

The Most Wonderful Gingerbread Cookies

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon finely grated lemons, zest of

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves until well blended.

In a large bowl (KitchenAid's great for this) beat butter, brown sugar, and egg on medium speed until well blended.

Add molasses, vanilla, and lemon zest and continue to mix until well blended.

Gradually stir in dry ingredients until blended and smooth.

Divide dough in half and wrap each half in plastic and let stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.

(Dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, but in this case it should be refrigerated. Return to room temp before using.)

Preheat oven to 375°.

Grease or line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Place 1 portion of the dough on a lightly floured surface.

Sprinkle flour over dough and rolling pin.

Roll dough to a scant 1/4-inch thick.

Use additional flour to avoid sticking.

Cut out cookies with desired cutter-- the ginger bread man is our favorite of course.

Space cookies 1 1/2-inches apart.

Bake 1 sheet at a time for 7-10 minutes (the lower time softer cookies)
Let the cookies to stand until the cookies are firm enough to move to a wire rack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%