Chocolate Frosting Recipe

Decorating By chicagocubsgirl Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 1:16pm by MadPhoeMom

chicagocubsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chicagocubsgirl Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 6

I have a wedding cake that I will be doing in September. It is going to be four separate cakes (chocolate with a chocolate frosting and a stencil of their initials on top of each one....scattered on a table...not tiered). Anyway, I have done a few trial runs for the client and she is not happy with the "glaze." I am just not sure how to put a chocolate frosting on that 1) tastes good, 2) looks good and 3) can get cocoa to stick on top for the stenciling. Any ideas from you great bakers/decorators?

5 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 6

I use the wilton recipe for chocolate buttercream. but, instead of using the cocoa I use nestle pre-melted chocolate packets. hth

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 6:39am
post #3 of 6

Can't go wrong with a whipped ganache. Wait for your ganache (is that what you used for a glaze?) to cool to room temp, then whip for 30-sec to 2 min to lighten it up. Works like buttercream but tastes especially yum-o. Smooths really nice too, and stays darker than many PS buttercreams.

If you want a traditional chocolate buttercream that is also really good, try Toba Garrett's recipe, it's on Epicurious. It's basically a combination of PS buttercream and ganache.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 6

I second Toba Garrett's recipe. I did not have the Godiva chocolate liqueur but it tasted wonderful. I will have to buy that for the next time I make this.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 6

I found a recipe I like in The Cake Bible. It's 2:1 chocolate to butter. She uses 24 oz chocolate, 12 oz butter. She mixes her chocolate (bitter and semi). I found it too potent for the typical person. I had better luck with 12 oz milkchocolate, 12 oz semi. Just melt the chocolate, let it cool. Whip the butter, and beat in the cooled chocolate. Depending on the room temp, I have to cool/heat it to the right consistency. It's delicious, but is very temperature sensitive. Good luck with your cake.

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 6

what i do:
in small bowl mix 1/2 c. cocoa powder (dutch processed or whatever the finest quality you can find)
mixed with 3 T. vegetable oil. stir until paste consistency.
add to your favorite b/c recipe.....it's a mild chocolate flavor, you can intensify if necessary.....

and you won't have to relearn to work with a 'new' frosting.
hth,
sally

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%