Will You Make "me" For My Wedding?

Decorating By cakequeen50 Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm by ccr03

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 13

OK, crazy lady calls yesterday and she wants a wedding cake like the one that was passed around the internet. The one that was a replica of the bride and was as tall as her......I think everyone saw it.
Anyway, this woman asks me if I can make one of these, Yeah, right, like I want THAT headache! I don't need that much stress in my life, thank you.

I refered her to some atlanta guy who was on the cake challenges. Joshua John's cakes.....something like that.

And only 4 ft tall.....

I usually jump on the chance to do new and exciting but not this time.....it seems like it would be a PITA and not fun

12 replies
Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:48am
post #2 of 13

cakes like that have "micro managing bride" written all over them.

Could I? yes

Would I? yes

Could they afford it? No

thumbs_up.gif

Between supplies, time, talent, cost of business for other cakes I'd loose $$$ on for doing just hers for weeks, and the extra free for being micro managed by the bride they would need a loan just for the cake. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:51am
post #3 of 13

Oh man, PLEASE tell me you managed to squeeze an estimated expected budget out of her before you hung up! I'm DYING to know what she THINKS a cake like this will cost her! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:47am
post #4 of 13

How tacky. There's just no accounting for taste.

That cake was the ugliest, most tasteless thing EVER (but I really could appreciate the workmanship and the time it took to make a cake like that).

And four feet tall?

We represent the Lullaby League, The Lullaby League, The Lullaby League
And in the name of the Lullaby League,
We wish to welcome you to Munchkinland.

We represent the Lollypop Guild, The Lollypop Guild, The Lollypop Guild
And in the name of the Lollypop Guild,
We wish to welcome you to Muchkinland.
We welcome you to Munchkinland, Tra la la la la la la

From now on you'll be history.
You'll be history, you'll be history, you'll be history.
And we will glorify your name.
You will be a bust, be a bust, be a bust
In the Hall of Fame!

jlvmorales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlvmorales Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:24am
post #5 of 13

I did not see this cake...where can I find a picutre?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:24am
post #6 of 13

The head and bust of that thing was created out of clay by a sculpter and cost $2500 I believe from the website. It sat on top of basically a tiered cake.

It was still the tackiest thing I've ever - ever seen.

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:12am
post #7 of 13

Here is the link to an article on CNN...man what are some people thinking?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/01/07/cake.irpt/index.html

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:39am
post #8 of 13

Actually, if it's the one that was on CakeWrecks, it's not so much tacky as a cultural thing; apparently effigy cakes are common in the bride's native country of Nigeria. I thought it was tacky, too, until I found that out.

After I thought about that for a while, I kind of managed to put it in the same category as personalized wedding toppers that look like the bride and groom. It still seems WEIRD, but...I'll make allowances for cultural difference.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 10:08am
post #9 of 13

I am Nigerian and I beg to differ with Varika! I too have heard this 'cultural' explanation and IMHO it was something made up to justify the monstrosity that masqueraded as a cake. Hers was the first effigy cake I had ever seen and it was gross! In fact only idols got made into effigies which were often burned! CakeQueen I hope you RUN away from this one as fast as you can.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 10:27am
post #10 of 13

Tacky, tacky, tacky......I bet she was a real bridezilla with an ego like that.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:21am
post #11 of 13

I would not have done this cake either. It is Tacky but I do also appreciate the work that went into making this cake.

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:05pm
post #12 of 13

As a wife of an artists (ceramics) who has friends that are sculptures, etc. I have to say at least an artist is not starving for creating a piece. lol!

But I do have this to say:

I seem to be missing the daily memo that says the wedding is about the bride. Wow, I thought it was about the couple. If it was a one person show then why is the groom there?

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

I seem to be missing the daily memo that says the wedding is about the bride. Wow, I thought it was about the couple. If it was a one person show then why is the groom there?

MamaBerry I SO have to agree with you on that one!!![/quote]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%