Cold Porcelain Recipe - ????

Decorating By born2bake Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 2:32pm by Jovy

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 6

Saw this recipe on the home page and read it. I'm trying to figure out what it is used for and how it is used. While reading the instructions, #3 states it's "VERY STIFF. **If you have a helper-have them hold down the saucepan (with hot pads) while you stir! Yes, it gets THAT stiff!"; then #4 states "Remove from heat and spread onto a plate to cool"

So in one sentence it gets so stiff you need one person to hold the pan while another 'attempts' icon_confused.gif to stir it, (here I envision the stiffness of premade fondant), yet in the next sentence you "spread" in on to a plate like your spreading butter on bread.

Can you / do you: 1) mold this like candy clay? 2) roll it out like fondant? 3) use cookie cutters to cut out shapes?

Just curious.

5 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry you never got a response about this!

Cold Porcelain is a non-edible version of gumpaste. The consistancy of it is a bit more elastic and rubbery feeling than gumpaste. When it dries, it is permanent-not seseptible to humidity like gumpaste or fondant.

I know it sounds confusing, but stirring this stuff while it's cooking does take some elbow grease! icon_lol.gif It's kinda like trying to stir a ball of fondant in a saucepan!

Anywho, the "spreading" on a plate is just a matter of pushing it onto a plate to flatten it out - to get as much surface area as possible in order to get it cooled down. Once it's cool, you knead back into a ball and wrap for storage.

HTH

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 6

I made couple figurines for party souvenirs.

Cold Porcelain Recipe
There are many cold porcelain recipes available, this is the one I prefer because it gives good result and is non-toxic. Please supervise children while making or using this clay, non-toxic doesn't mean edible.

Ingredients:
1 cup pva glue (white glue like elmer's glue all)
1 cup cornstarch
tablespoon mineral oil (babyoil)
tablespoon lemon juice, witchhazel, or clove oil (these are natural preservative that help prevent mold, optional but reccomended)

Directions:
Combine ingredients in pot. Don't use your good cookware for this because it can be hard to clean off.

Cook on low heat stiring constantly for 10 minutes or until doughs forms and begins to come away from the sides.

Remove from heat and allow to cool until you can handle it.

Knead to a smooth clay consistency.

Store wrapped in plastic and refridgerated.

Color is translucent cream but can be tinted with acrylic or oil paint. White paint gives a true porcelain look. If you are using this clay with children make sure the paints are also non-toxic, some paint pigments contain toxic chemicals so check the label.
Model as you would any other clay, metal and smooth plastic work best for me as does keeping my fingers lubricated with a little mineral oil. Keep any clay you are not using either wrapped in plastic or covered by a damp cloth to keep it from drying out while waiting to be used. If the clay it too sticky dust with a little more cornstarch and if it is a bit crumbly add a few more drops of mineral oil. Dries in about 24 hours, expect 20-30% shrinkage.

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 6

I have been wondering what 'cold porcelain' was (I know I sound stupid...)

thanks, cant wait to try it!!!!!!!!

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much Cakedout and Jovy. This does help me understand it better. AND I didn't realize that non-toxic doesn't mean non-edible . . . . as some advertizer made me think.

B2B

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 6

You are welcome...the figurines I made when they dried there were hard as a rock...the recipe I got it from a website but I forgot her name...I meant to put where I got the recipe. I will find out if I have pictures of the figurines I made

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%