Pirate Ship Cake Does Anyone Have Directions?

Decorating By doodlebugs Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 11:07am by foxymomma521

doodlebugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodlebugs Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, I am wondering if anyone may have instuctions on how to do a pirate ship cake. I have an order for one on Sunday, and honestly have no idea where to even begin. The party is "pirate" theme and the birthday boy has his heart set on a ship. I suggested a trasure chest...but they really want a ship. Could anyone please help me?

9 replies
pechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pechee Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:14am
post #2 of 10

The instructions I have uses an oval shape for the boat, then you trim the sides. It was an arc, so Im guessing that would be sort of the same thing. As far as the top goes, I would go to the toy section and look at pirate ships to get ideas. HTH

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:20am
post #3 of 10

debbie brown has one in one of her books you can look online to see the picture. hers is super detailed but you can use it for inspiration.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #4 of 10

. . . maybe you could PM andpotts since she made on recently . . . http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-592160-pirate.html+ship

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #5 of 10

Well there seems to be something wrong with my PM box, I tried replying to you and now I see my messages stuck in the outbox, not sure what's wrong and now I'm probably too late to help, but I will post the pm I sent you here.
This Sunday, as in tomorrow?! So sorry I'm just getting back to you now, I will try to tell you everything I can think of, but if there is anything else feel free to ask, I am honored and happy to help in any way I can. I got so much help and guidance and ideas from this site, I would have never ever attempted it otherwise First of all I used the WASC recipe, everyone told me it was great for carved cakes and it was. I also used IndyDebbis crusting buttercream recipe in chocolate using half butter and it was perfect ( I added cocoa powder and chocolate syrup to get to a light shade of brown, set some aside for the top of the decks and then added more cocoa and syrup to get to a deeper brown for the outside). For the ship body I baked 3 9x13's, leveled as needed and cooled. I then put a thin layer of buttercream down and stacked the first 2 cakes. (I put wax paper down on the cake board before putting the cakes on, once I was done frosting I just ran a pairing knife along the outline and pulled the overhang and frosting mess away) The 3rd I cut into 3 pieces for the deck levels ( long for the bottom, short for on top of that and medium sized piece for the front) I did a thin layer of BC and then stacked those on. now as long as the cakes are level I had no problems with this part. I then covered it and stuck it in the freezer for a few hours to firm up before carving. To carve all I did was cut triangle shaped portions off of the front until it had a boat shape, some people carve more, but this was all I felt it needed and it made it much easier to frost. When I was done the very front was still flat, probably about 2.5 inches vs cutting it into a point. I also cut a rectangle out of the top front layer to make the steering house or whatever my husband called it, but it did give it more dimension. Once that was all done it had defrosted enough to get frosted, I was going to do a crumb coat, but was running low on time so I was just careful not to lift the spatula. I literally just globbed the frosting on one side at a time, spread it out, went on to the next portion and once they were all covered it had started to crust enough that I just went back over it with the spatula tip to make the impression of wood boards. did the same thing on the decks with the lighter colored frosting. I put 3 life saver min port holes (candle holders on each side and then used a tubes of decorators frosting to as dome decoration, I was really running out of time at that point and would have liked to do those better, but it worked For the other decorations I used rolo's stuck together with frosting for barrels, 4 whopper stacked and stuck with frosting for cannon balls, square pretzles for the railings and windows. The sails are parchment paper leftover from the invites, I just cut a curve on each side and poled them through bamboo skewers. The littele pirate flags were just food flags and I taped to the top. Finally the pirate, skull, treasure chest and map were all from a little playmobil set I got at Target for $9. I sprayed the cake board with blue food color spray and tossed on sweedish fish and chocolate gold coins to finish it up. It was very heavy and I used 3 cake boards to make sure it was sturdy enough to move around. Good luck, I had so much fun doing it and my son just thought it was the coolest. Please let me know if I can help you out in any other way Andrea

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodlebugs Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:24am
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone for all their advice. I got it done and the family was happy with it. I am going to post a pic and if anyone has any suggestions for something I need to change, I would love your input!

doodlebugs Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:37am
post #8 of 10

Trying to add the pic again!
LL

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:41am
post #9 of 10

turned out great!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:07am
post #10 of 10