Fondant Figurines & Candy Clay/modeling Choc. - Longevit

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 10:47pm by luvbakin

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 2

I'm aware that gumpaste figurines can last indefinitely and that they dry "rock hard." I will be making some figurines which will require a lot of "black" and I figured it would be easier to make the figurines in fondant or candy clay/modeling chocolate because it is easier to make(i.e. start with chocolate) or to buy the "black."

What is the time frame for fondant and candy clay/modeling chocolate? How far in advance can you make it? How long will it last? Any storage tips for leftovers and storage tips for the figurines after they have dried? I don't plan on having them being eaten.

Lastly...any favorite recipes? TIA!

1 reply
luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 2

If you aren't planning on anyone eating your figures you can make them well in advance. I would think they take about a week to dry rock hard, but don't quote me on that. Leftover fondant will keep a very long time, even in the freezer for up to a year, if you wrap it tightly in saran wrap and then in a freezer bag.

As for how to store the figures after you take them off the cake, I would think a cardboard box with some tissue paper would do fine.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%