How Do I Respond?

Business By Cascades Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm by FromScratch

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:19am
post #1 of 7

I had a bride e-mail me today asking if I bake my cakes from scratch. For those of you who use box cake mixes, how do you respond to this and make your answer a positive one. I use box mixes and have never had a complaint about my cakes! They always love the taste and can't believe how moist they are.

I want to be truthful to this bride and yet sell my cakes. Any suggestions?

Cascades

6 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:33am
post #2 of 7

I'd tell her the truth, and I'd offer to let her sample the cake, if u make the WASC for her to sample it'll knock her socks off. Tastes just like a scratch cake...However, I'd bet alot of people don't like box mixes because they've never had them after they had been doctored.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:36am
post #3 of 7

Being truthful is always the best. You could say-" Like many quality bakeries, I use a mix to provide consistent, high quality, reliable results."
A bakery friend of mine actually told me that is why their bakery- high end, too- use mixes- for consistency and reliability of results.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:48am
post #4 of 7

Agree, don't lie. I tell them honestly that "I use mixes, just like most other bakeries in town" .

I start with a mix and add my own stuff (like eggs, oil and water!) icon_rolleyes.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 7

The truth will set you free!!! Tell her the truth and let her know that you but allot of hard work, love, and attention to each cake that you make.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 7

The truth pof course. You can tell her: "I use a mix as a base to provide consistent, high quality and reliable results, and we add different ingredients to make it delicious and special".
Or something like that...

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 7

Yes.. honesty is the best policy. Tell you start with a mix and add your own special extras to make them taste great. Offer a tasting and see what she says. Many many many bakeries use mixes.. don't be ashamed.

I am a scratch baker, and I see nothing wrong with using mixes if that is what you are comfortable with. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%