How Do I Open The Gum Paste Mix Can?

Decorating By pkgurl Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 6:47pm by pkgurl

pkgurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkgurl Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 9

I feel like a retard, but am I supposed to use a can opener on the Wilton gum paste mix? Don't these type of cans usually have a pull tab?

As I'm typing this, I can feel people laughing at me already... icon_confused.gif

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 12:09am
post #2 of 9

I've bought the gum-tex powder and it has a pull tab. I've never bought the mix though, just straight gum-tex.

The can opener sounds like a plan, though icon_biggrin.gif Gotta get it open somehow.

taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 12:50am
post #3 of 9

I just looked at one of my unopened cans, and YES you need to open it with a can opener.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 9

LOL. Don't feel so bad, the first time I used it, I just stared out at it too wondering where the pull tab was. Then the light bulb went off... the can opener silly! icon_redface.gif

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 9

You would think in 2008, there would be a pull tab, but I had the same question! LOL!

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 9

I am a WMI and never gave it any thought about the pull tab thing, I just cuss at it while trying to get it open with the can opener.

I will relay this info to Wilton and ask for a pull tab opening on the gumpaste can.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 9

There is a small silver pull tab on the can of Wilton gumpaste mix. It blends in with the rest of the top. You should be able to spot it once you pull the plastic cover off.

Tallmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallmama Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 9

My wilton GP has a pull tab too.

pkgurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkgurl Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 9

Oh my goodness, I searched and searched and searched for that dang pull tab, but it never showed up icon_smile.gif

I used a can opener, and it left little pieces (like dust almost) of the can on top of the powder mix. But I have a Pampered Chef can opener so it doesn't cut the metal, it pulls all the metal off.

Anyway, it's nice to know I'm not the only one to stare blankly at this can for a while...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%