Chocolate Buttercream Questions...

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 10:50pm by bobwonderbuns

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 9

quick question... i need to make chocolate buttercream tonight! and for some reason this is my first time ever making it..

i normally use alil edited version of the wilton traditional buttercream icing as my norm. buttercream and i was told that if i add cocoa powder and chocolate syrup to that it would make chocolate buttercream...

so

how much cocoa powder?

how much chocolate syrup??

8 replies
pennywells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennywells Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 9

I need the answer to pretty much the same question, only I use Sugar Shacks icing and need a dark brown color.

pennywells Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 9

I need the answer to pretty much the same question, only I use Sugar Shacks icing and need a dark brown color.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 9

Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to your regular buttercream recipe and use the dark vanilla rather than the white vanilla. I use the Valrohna chocolate powder which gives me a very dark chocolate buttercream. The Nestles and Hersheys powders are lighter. If you want it darker, use 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and let it set at room temp for a couple of hours to overnight -- it will darken up beautifully. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

pennywells Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 9

Do you have to add more liquid. I thought I read that somewhere?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 9

I use cocoa powder or melted chocolate. I prefered the melted chocolate until I found the Special Dark Cocoa powder. I don't really measure mine. Just dump until I like the color/taste of it. When adding either of these you may have to add more liquid to the recipe.

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 9

I never did. Make the recipe using only those changes and see how it is. If you need to loosen it a bit, add water starting 1 tsp at a time. Also I sift my chocolate powder to get rid of the lumps -- they won't come out if you rely soley on the mixer.

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 9

how do u feel about the chocolate syrup???

i read somewhere that using only the hersheys powder wasn't enough and thats the only powder i have ...

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublecz1103

how do u feel about the chocolate syrup???

i read somewhere that using only the hersheys powder wasn't enough and thats the only powder i have ...

Me? I've never used it. I've only used the unsweetened cocoa powder so I can't comment on how well the syrup works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%