Newbie Here... Just Want To Say Hello!

Decorating By saramachen Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm by xstitcher

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 18

Hi Everyone. I have been lurking around here for several weeks now... I finally started posting a little this week. I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. My name is Sara and I am in Kitchener Ontario Canada. I am a accountant by day and a wannabe caker by night icon_biggrin.gif . I am very new to cake decorating... I've only done 3 cakes. I am taking the wilton courses and love them.

My favourite part of cake decorating for me is allowing the creative side of brain to roam free. After punching #'s all day, I can come home and mess around in icing... and if I screw it up - I can just eat it and start again. Its almost therapy.

I plan on taking some professional courses next year - but im not sure if I want to do cakes proffessionaly or not. I really like my job and not sure if I will ever be good enough to do it full time, but im really willing to practise.

I got a great idea from someone else on this site who picked out some favourites on here to make. So I just finished picking out 12 favourites and I plan on making one a month.

This weekend I plan on making my first batch of MMF. Im taking the wilton fondant and gumpaste course and we are covering our cake board. I did one in class, but I want to do a fancy one and not use the wilton fondant.

Anyway - Thanks in advance for your help and support. I look forward to hanging out with you all. icon_cool.gif

17 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 18

Welcome! Good luck on those 12 - be sure to post them!

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 18

Welcome!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 18

Welcome to CC! Make sure to post your cakes so we can admire them and watch as your talent grows!

taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #5 of 18

Welcome. I'm still a little new myself, but the people here are so helpful. I'm also in the accounting field; I'm a tax preparer. This is a great outlet for my creative side - it's generally frowned upon in my day job. icon_wink.gif

saramachen Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:46am
post #6 of 18

Yeah - creative accounting is generally not approved of. My favourite saying at work is "hey, i don't make the numbers, i just record them". Thanks for all the warm wishes, and i will definitely be posting my cakes! thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:20am
post #7 of 18

Hi and Welcome to CC, saramachen. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered cake:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958955-.html

How to cut neat slices of tiered cake by indydebi:
(So much easier than Wilton's method.)

http://tinyurl.com/5gxsqf

HTH

saramachen Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 18

JanH - you really are a forum superstar! Those links are awesome... i don't think they leave out anything!.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 18

Hi Sara!
Welcome to our big, (dysfunctional at times icon_razz.gif ), CC Family. We're glad to have you! Everyone here is so helpful, and it really is addicting!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:07am
post #10 of 18

Welcome!

This is a GREAT place to learn/share icon_smile.gif

Jen "-)

saramachen Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 18

Yesterday I made my first batch of MMF, I think it looks good. I will be using later tonight to cover a cakeboard and dummy for my wilton class next week. Today I went down to Klara Johnsons ( www.klarajohnsons.com ) and signed up for her decorating class I and II and 2 day wedding cake workshop. She is very well known in southern ontario for her cake classes. I am thinking about taking one of her chocolate classes too. Then i am going to take a break from all the classes in December, cause DH and I are going on a cruise. Then I want to take courses at McCalls in Toronto, they are proffessional courses. I think there schedule is about to go up, cause their website has updated, but its not all working yet. I am really excited!! icon_biggrin.gif

saramachen Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #12 of 18

I just wanted to let everyone know that i've decided on my first cake. Its actually going to be for myself as its my birthday in a couple weeks.

Thanks to fatandhappy for the inspiration!

Im going to do 2 tiers Maybe a 8 and a 6 (only has to feed 10 people). bottom layer is to be chocolate with cookies and cream filling, and top is wasc with raspberry filling. Im going to use SMBC. It will be all new to me, and i am really looking forward to it!
LL

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 18

Hi Sara,

I've just posted comments on your 4 cakes! icon_biggrin.gif You have done a fantastic job! I look forward to seeing more of your work. Welcome to Cake Central! birthday.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:21am
post #14 of 18

Hi Sara and welcome to CC!

I'm looking forward to seeing the next 12 cakes!!!! Great job on the ones you have posted!

P.S. I grew up in Hamilton and all my family still lives in Southern Ontario. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:36am
post #15 of 18

Hi,
Welcome to Cake Central. Have fun with your cakes. We will look forward to the beautiful results.

We are glad to have you.

- Debbie B.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:32am
post #16 of 18

Hi Sara! You are really branching out for being new to this. Good luck with your upcoming classes. They sound like a lot of fun. I look forward to seeing your creations and yes, it is fun to eat the practice ones isn't it! icon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gif

Again, welcome!!!

Amy

saramachen Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #17 of 18

Well i conquered my ocean cake... the first of my 12 I want to do.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1256405.html

Its wasc with mocha buttercream filling... my boss was making fun of me for the fancy cake and said he is a plain vanilla with white frosting kinda guy... so I think next weekend im going to bake him a 6" vanila cake with plain white SMBC and i am going to make a crown out of gum paste for the topper... like he is king (yeah right). It will be funny... now i just have to figure out how to make the crown... i figure roll out a strip, cut my shape wrap it around a coffee can and leave to dry. I also plan on doing my birthday cake next week...

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm
post #18 of 18

Wow Sara!

You did a great job!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%