Milk Can Cake

Decorating By pearsonan Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm by Momkiksbutt

pearsonan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearsonan Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 3

I would like to make a cake in the shape of an old timey milk can. I am sure i would have to carve the top to make it the right shape, but i have never done this and would welcome any and all advice.
To explain why ... My aunt use to run a dairy and every year in the fall we have what is called a Milk Can supper where the meal (cabbage,carrots, kilbasa, corn, and potatoes) are cooked over an open fire in an old milk can. They are awesome. Our whole family is there. I think a cake shaped like and actual milk can would be cute.
Thanks Alot in advance thumbs_up.gif
LL

2 replies
tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 3

The milk can will be easy to replicate. Depending on how big you actually want the milk can to be I suggest using lots of round cakes stacked on top of one another. Make sure you put a cake board in between every 2 to 3 cakes and dowel them too. I suggest doweling the entire structure once assembled. Sharpen a dowel rod in a pencil sharpener and insert through all the layers. If you want the cake to be very tall w/o using all cake then constuct the base w/ foam first and put your cake on top. Make the handles at least 3 days in advance out of MMF. If your icing w/ BC, which is what I prefer icon_biggrin.gif , then you shouldn't have to worry w/ tinting it.

Hope this helps and is the advice you were looking for. icon_smile.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 3

You can also make the lid and handles out of fondant covered rice crispy treats....makes them lighter and less difficult to attach to the cake. And less likely to fall off during transport.

Cool idea for a cake by the way!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%