For Those Who Watch "challenge" On Fn

Decorating By doughdough Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 5:56pm by saramachen

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:02pm
post #31 of 92

OK-- I must defend Kerry Vincent here. She is from Australia and they are very honest with their words. Unlike alot of us Americans that tend to "nice" things up because we don't want to hurt feelings.

Also, the Food Network people want her to be the "Simon Cowell" of the Cake Challenges. Kerry just states her opinion and they do have a list for the voting/grading system on the Challenges.

I have talked with most of the Challenge cake people and all agree it is truly stressful. Cake Diva said she didn't want to do another one. As well as Colette--that was 2 years ago, tho.

So, remember this is TV, guys...and tho it looks like 8 hours...is it really?
The television airing that we see is not the ACTUAL straight 8 hours. They edit and they move some of the shots around to make it more nail-biting and dramatic. C'mon--ya'll know how TV is....Reality TV is not REAL life.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #32 of 92

I've seen KV on that sugar arts show in Oklahoma city and it seems to better suited for her taste and style.

There, it is all about painstaking detail and extrodinary skill.

I've wondered if the challange winners would do as well if they had to do endless hours of piping, stringwork, gum paste flowers etc.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm
post #33 of 92

You know, I think she comes off harder than she is. I emailed her not too long ago about OSSAS, and she was very gracious and responded. I was so excited!

Although, did anyone think she seemed to have a little crush on that guy in the Cirque de Soliel cake challenge? I can't remeber his name, but he is very young, and very arrogant. I swore I saw her giggle. I have never seen her giggle before. LOL!

Mac Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:36pm
post #34 of 92

KV DOES giggle. Attend one of her demos. She was very entertaining at ICES.

summernoelle Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:40pm
post #35 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

KV DOES giggle. Attend one of her demos. She was very entertaining at ICES.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:43pm
post #36 of 92

I've watched most of the challenges and she does seem a bit harsh and rough around the edges. I don't know much about her background, so don't flame me! My husband said one time that maybe her handband was too tight on her head!

Melissaicon_smile.gif

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:54pm
post #37 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BREN28

on that same challenge for "cirque du soleil" , that guy who made the "arm" made with rkt and covered w/fondant (dont remember his name),got really upset and wanted to "jump across the table and tackle her",when she said it looked more like an air conditioning duct.i actually agree with her though. it just didnt look right .

I felt bad for him but she was so right the cake was awesome and I understood what he was trying to do but it just looked sad on top of that awesome cake.

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 12:13am
post #38 of 92

Yeah, that young guy did seem a bit full of himself...but he's very talented! If he could have made that curvy part on the top of his cake a bit skinnier, it maybe would have worked a lot better...and honestly, that little figure that was spinning around was so small I barely noticed it!

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:08am
post #39 of 92

I think part of the issue with the red scarf thing was that it was one solid piece. It would have looked more twirly and scarfy (yes, I know lol) if he had two or three, or even four smaller armatures (sp?) that could have twisted and come together at the bottom.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:33am
post #40 of 92

Mac, I have been an audience member at a challenge and it is a solid eight hours - no breaks. Several people that I know who were competitors told me about not being allowed to leave the set. The shows are taped live and later edited for time.

As for people being from Australia being more blunt, there is still no near to make nasty comments. Rude is rude no matter from where someone originates.

Maybe if we let the Food Network know what we would like to see in the challenges. If they don't know what we think.

Just a thought.

Michele

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:57am
post #41 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

There have been some snags with some of the judges working with KV.

I speak from experience when I say... she doesn't like to be called that... or maybe it was the way I said it icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif Bronwen on the other hand has no problem with "B-Dubs". icon_smile.gif

I dig KV as a judge, I like her because she is so blunt (and kinda mean) and sometimes we all need a bit of smackdown. More than any other judge I look forward to her commentary.

Mac Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 5:15am
post #42 of 92

Sugarflowers--
I didn't word that the right way...I meant to say that there is some pre-work they can bring. And I also meant that some of the editing has been out of sequence so they can maximize the stress factor. And since the competition is 6-8 hours and the show is 1 hour--alot is left on the editing room floor.

To me, the original designing of a cake is difficult and then the support construction...I don't think I could do it.

And I have worked with many Australians in the physical therapy field and really, it is not rudeness to them. Sorry, but this is just a difference of 2 continents...arghhhh, that's not the word I'm looking for.

Etta1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etta1025 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:42pm
post #43 of 92

Like many others, I don't have a problem with Kerry being harsh or demanding about the details. I think that's her job as a judge. What I have a problem with is her judging a style of cake that she herself does not do.

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:55pm
post #44 of 92

For those that find Kerry harsh...

"You've never worked in a restuarant kitchen before, have you?"

She's a kitten compared to many other chefs.

Etta1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etta1025 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:58pm
post #45 of 92

MamaBerry -- you're right. While some might find Kerry's comments rude, I've also seen her be very helpful and supportive of competitors when they're struggling.

erb1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erb1 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm
post #46 of 92

Being new at the craft, I appreciate KVs feedback on traditional details. She is blunt and quick to the point, but I am the kind of person who appreciates that type of feedback.

Sometimes I'm watching those shows, and although very pretty, I wonder how a few of those elaborate creations are considered cake. Covering pvc pipe or styrofoam with fondant doesn't seem appropriate.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:10pm
post #47 of 92

She's not my favorite judge either and she does come off unusually harsh but when you watch the show you can see that she really tries to be helpful and not only a critic. I do feel she let's her personal taste sometimes compromise her judging, though.

It would be fun to have a show where the judge's end up doing the competition while the cometitors get to judge.

I was also disappointed in the Cirque show. I felt like it could have had great potential but everyone's ideas were boring! Nothing spectacular but I also felt that some of the competitors were lacking in caliber.

By biggest complaint, though, was the show where the judge criticized Mike for doing a pirate show for the audience. I feel a judge is there to judge the cake, not for what the competitor does outside of the cake field. That was a producer's call and not any place for a judge to comment. If the producer or emcee felt it was out of place, then they should never have allowed it.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #48 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etta1025

Like many others, I don't have a problem with Kerry being harsh or demanding about the details. I think that's her job as a judge. What I have a problem with is her judging a style of cake that she herself does not do.

I agree with this completely. Her work is very well known and it is nothing like anything that is required on the challenges. It's not likely that she could make one of her cakes in 6 or 8 hours, even with some of the stuff made in advance.

It also bothers me that not only have they cut the time, but they have drastically reduced what can be made in advance. Yes, as much as possible should be made on site, but drying time is needed for so many things.

Even with all of this, if they asked me to be on a challenge I wouldn't say no. icon_lol.gif

Michele

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:12pm
post #49 of 92

Let's not forget - some of the prizes for winning these challenges are $10K. Ummm....that cake had better be PERFECT to win that kind of money.
I hate the arrogant cake designers who start off by saying "I have this one in the bag..."
Please. icon_confused.gif They need to get off their high horse and drop the holier than thou attitude... just decorate.
I agree they need to add more judges, tho.

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:29pm
post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by APrettyCake

Let's not forget - some of the prizes for winning these challenges are $10K. Ummm....that cake had better be PERFECT to win that kind of money.
I hate the arrogant cake designers who start off by saying "I have this one in the bag..."
Please. icon_confused.gif They need to get off their high horse and drop the holier than thou attitude... just decorate.

There's one particular competitor that I thought of when you said this. Don't remember his name. On the one where they designed the wedding cake for the couple, the bride said she didn't like something and he acted like she was wrong to have an opinion about her own cake. I believe he also said something along the lines of "she can't find anything else wrong so she has to be picky about this one little thing". I found that to be very arrogant and as evidenced by other competitions he's been on, very much his attitude.

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:33pm
post #51 of 92

I met Gary from the wedding cake challenge he came in 3rd place he had to drive his cake from Mi to Ok. and didn't make it in time they were closing the doors and KV asked all the others decoraters if they mined if they let him in and they said yes and let him in he said she is so nice not at all like she is portrayed on the show. I too thought she was to tough on some of the people but I think sometimes you need that because when they are running out of time things get sloppy when trying to finish on time.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:42pm
post #52 of 92

This morning I had a sudden inspiration for a challenge:

Today's my birthday, and I want Mike, Colette, Marina, Elisa, and Ron-Ben Israel (I know he's never done a challenge and probably never would but I would love to see what he could do and I LOVE his cakes!) to compete to make MY birthday cake! You know us decorators never get really cool birthday cakes. I make everyone else great cakes, and I would love to actually get one sometime!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 5:23pm
post #53 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByJen2

You know us decorators never get really cool birthday cakes. I make everyone else great cakes, and I would love to actually get one sometime!

This is so true! I don't think I've ever gotten a birthday cake except as a child when my mom made it. I live with nothing but men (husband and two sons), and let me tell you, it wouldn't even cross their male minds to get me a cake!

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 5:36pm
post #54 of 92

My birthday was in May. Went to dinner with the fam, which was what I wanted. I LOVE cake. Love it, but I refuse to make my own.
My daughter made me stop at *gasp* WalMart for my bday cake because she said I simply HAD to have one.
It was gross. icon_cry.gif

Mac Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:06pm
post #55 of 92

I used to be the same way--about 4 yrs ago, I told my mom that I wanted a chocolate cake from a certain bakery here. She said, "Oh yours are much better." I refused to make my own cake. Well, got the cake. Now I make ALL my own birthday cakes. Besides tasting better, I get to pick the design AND have a new pic for my portfolio.

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:24pm
post #56 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrown99

Quote:

There's one particular competitor that I thought of when you said this. Don't remember his name. On the one where they designed the wedding cake for the couple, the bride said she didn't like something and he acted like she was wrong to have an opinion about her own cake. I believe he also said something along the lines of "she can't find anything else wrong so she has to be picky about this one little thing". I found that to be very arrogant and as evidenced by other competitions he's been on, very much his attitude.

I think you're thinking of Buddy Vilastro (sp?). Yeah, he's quite the character, and I have mixed feelings about him too.

While he does beautiful wedding cakes (he was featured in ACD a couple issues ago), his Challenge visits have been fairly lackluster. The last one I saw him on was the Disney Villians, and his Scar cake was AWFUL. And it seems like each time he has a issue with the rules, and just plows on because he's too hard-headed to admit he's wrong!

I think he just needs to skip Challenges from now on and stick to what he's good at.

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:42pm
post #57 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerbear

Quote:

Quote:

I think you're thinking of Buddy Vilastro (sp?). Yeah, he's quite the character, and I have mixed feelings about him too.

While he does beautiful wedding cakes (he was featured in ACD a couple issues ago), his Challenge visits have been fairly lackluster. The last one I saw him on was the Disney Villians, and his Scar cake was AWFUL. And it seems like each time he has a issue with the rules, and just plows on because he's too hard-headed to admit he's wrong!

I think he just needs to skip Challenges from now on and stick to what he's good at.

I almost interned for him but when I called and asked how long he wanted me to intern he left it wide open-- no end.

Don'tcha know? I have all the time in the world and I have no obligations or other responsibility.

summernoelle Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:48pm
post #58 of 92
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ewww I can't stand Buddy Vilastro. Seriously, is he talented enough to be on that show? I have seen much better cakes here on CC!

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:00pm
post #59 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ewww I can't stand Buddy Vilastro. Seriously, is he talented enough to be on that show? I have seen much better cakes here on CC!

I certainly can't say he's not very good because I can't do what he does. I actually think he does a decent job. Do I think others are better? YES. But it's not his skill that irritated me (because he's certainly a better decorator than me), it was his attitude. Like a previous poster said about the rules (especially with the Disney villains challenge), he should know them ahead of time. So why get mad that the judges are expecting you (meaning him) to follow the same rules that everyone else has to follow? Again, I think it is an incredibly arrogant and self-centered attitude and that is what I find disagreeable.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:37pm
post #60 of 92

Well, interesting topic. I can't believe I am going to type this but. I call KV Judgezilla. (like from the show bridezilla) I hope she never reads this. She is very intimidating and a women with many words. I like her but I know lots of people who are scared to death of her. I was at the ICES convention and got to talk to her for a few minutes and see her in action and she was very nice. I am sure she puts on somewhat of an act on TV.
sometimes I wish I could be more like her then maybe my other half would get the point! She is a great decorator and lots of us look to her for inspiration. But whats up with the headband?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%