Urgent Rice Krispy Cake Dummy

Decorating By kristina67 Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm by cakeladyem

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 5

I need to know how to make a rice krispy cake dummy...never done one before. I just discovered I don't have the right size styro foam and the cake is due in two days. Has anyone made one before? Do you frost them with bc to hide the bumpyness?

4 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 5

I've never done this, but I would use the pans that you would for a regular cake. If you don't use the butter in the recipe it will set up faster and stay together better.

You will want to put a layer of buttercream on it to smooth it.

I hope this is not too late getting to you. I haven't been on the computer much lately.

Michele

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 5

one way to get the rice crispies smoother is to crush them up before you stir them into the marshmallow mix. i found that i needed more cereal but it made my surface much smoother! I covered them with fondant and didn't even need to use a buttercream base! HTH

Teresa

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 5

I agree that the lack of cake was a bit disappointing, but they flew it cross country, so I can understand using inedible materials, especially since they usually go out of their way to make everything from cake and sugar.
I have to say, the figures of the characters were really cool!

cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 5

Be sure to grease your pan really well with non-stick spray or whatever method you like to use. Rice crispies do not like to release from cake pans in my experience. If you are covering your cakes in fondant then I would crush the rice crispies to make it smoother since the bumps could show through a little. If you are covering in buttercream only then regular crispies should be fine. The frosting will fill in the little nooks and crannies so you will be able to smooth it fine as long as you use enough frosting. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%