How Long Does It Take For Refrig. Cake To Reach Room Temp?

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 12:08pm by Lori2240

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 15

I am making a 14X10X6 stacked cake filled with SMBC. I was planning on refrigerating it overnight because I notice it gets rather soft after sitting out several hours let alone if I decorate it Friday and the serve it Saturday night. I am kinda afraid it will be too soft to transport. If I refrigerate it, does anyone have any idea how long it will take to thaw... I dont want it too soft, but I dont want the filling to be hard either. Thanks in advance for any help!

14 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 15

When you say refrigerate do you mean freezing or just putting into the refrigerator?

Lori2240 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 15

Just refrigerate (overnight). Thanx

cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 15

i wouldnt think no more than a hour or two are they all stacked together in the frig or separate have you ever put cakes in the frig before?? i havent but i need to this weekend but its only a 10in rd BC

Lori2240 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 15

I would refrigerate them stacked. I am only concerned because the SMBC gets pretty hard when chilled, I just dont want people to be biting into hard filling. I am also thinking of not refrigerating it (since it actually can sit out unrefrigerated) I was just hoping for that extra sense of stability that chilling it give me. Thanks!

cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori2240

I would refrigerate them stacked. I am only concerned because the SMBC gets pretty hard when chilled, I just dont want people to be biting into hard filling. I am also thinking of not refrigerating it (since it actually can sit out unrefrigerated) I was just hoping for that extra sense of stability that chilling it give me. Thanks!

I have always heard that refrigerating them makes the a little dry, i havent refrigerated any of mine yet, but i was think of the pepperidge farm cakes you can get in the frezeer section ,do you wrap them in anything

Lori2240 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 15

I dont wrap the fully decorate cake, too worried I will mess something up. Just the fondant covered cake as is. When I am chilling the layers before decorating, I wrap them in saran and foil.

cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:

I dont wrap the fully decorate cake, too worried I will mess something up. Just the fondant covered cake as is. When I am chilling the layers before decorating, I wrap them in saran and foil.

Does it dry out any that you know of??

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 15

How long does it take a frozen cake to come to room temp. Should I keep it wrapped or open it up? Thanks

cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaah

How long does it take a frozen cake to come to room temp. Should I keep it wrapped or open it up? Thanks

Its according to how big it is, and yes leave it wrapped up until completly thawed,

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

Heck, no! I just did that for the first time this past weekend, and the cake is wonderfully moist and tasty.

cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:

Quote:

Heck, no! I just did that for the first time this past weekend, and the cake is wonderfully moist and tasty.

I guess i should ask if this is fondant or BC i use BC most of the time

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:45pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:

I guess i should ask if this is fondant or BC i use BC most of the time

I froze just the cake, actually; I had to transport it to someone else's house to do the work on it. It was fine. I refridgerated it after torting it and filling it, and then again after carving and crumb-coating it with SMBC, and it was still fine. And that was without even covering it. They stayed in the fridge for some five hours, uncovered, and were fine.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:49pm
post #14 of 15

Ive had a cake sitting out for 5 hours indoors and when I cut it the filling and cake were still a little cool.

Lori2240 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 12:08pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks for the feedback. Im hoping that if I take it out around 12:00 PM it should be good to go for around 7 or 8pm. I hope so!! Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%